LS7 serpentine belt configuration

Hello does any one have any pic's with the LS7 serpentine belt configuration after the water pump spouts are changed.The water pump outlet looks like it will be in the away now with the spout pointing down.
Doc's build pic's won't work with my build as I am not using an external oil pump and no power steering pump.
Cheers,

IMG_0566.jpg

This is on my LS3. I don't know what the differences are but for what it's worth, thats how i did it.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Dean,

I was going to do something similar to your setup (I'm driving one item only, and that's the alternator), but I was concerned that having only about 80 degrees of contact on the alternator pulley would be insufficient under high load conditions. Can you comment on that (or anybody else)? I shied away from this configuration because of that, and have yet to design a system I like without additional or excess belt length/pulleys. I have little in front of the motor to locate the alternator, and it locates best in the position you've used. It would be great if the small amount of belt contact shown on your photo, on the alternator pulley, is acceptable.

Here is a pic of mine. Custom idlers with ultra high-speed bearings, custom billet mounts, all accessories on one belt (from a F250, so easy to find). Alternator is a 140 amp, dual rectified unit in a CS-144 form, so easy to find a replacement at any NAPA store if this one breaks in the middle of nowhere.

No, I hadn't flipped the intake when this was taken. :)

IMG_0306.jpg

Note the stainless pipe with welded-on bead and smooth interior.

Adjustable tension with a large turnbuckle:

IMG_0307.jpg

Not shown is the cool billet WP inlet that Rob found. This allows a different angle on the input for additional clearance.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
What exactly do you need to do to the power steering pump if you elect to use it? I'll be using a complete setup from a Pontiac G8 GXP. It is very similar to the CTS-V setup with a low mount alternator and the Corvette belt line.

Hello Will this looks very nice, I have AC unit coming, do you know if the pump will go where your power steering pumps is? if it does this will work now is this set up you have custom made or can it be bought ?
Cheers,

Hello Will this looks very nice, I have AC unit coming, do you know if the pump will go where your power steering pumps is? if it does this will work now is this set up you have custom made or can it be bought ?
Cheers,

I don't have a PS pump- just an alternator, WP and AC compressor. The routing and placement of the idlers took a little bit of thinking, as one goal was to get a good wrap on all the pullies. Not all the front dress setups I've seen seem to have adequate wrap to prevent slippage, and that, of course, is a contributor to belt failure.

It's a custom setup, but PM me if you want the name of the shop that made it.

And while we are on the topic of the AC compressor (we are, right?), I'm going to use a window switch to disengage the compressor clutch when over 6000 RPM. Over-revving it is a fast way to blow up the compressor.

Sorry Will I was still asleep when I was looking at your pic Yes this is exactly the set up I need.
Thank you,
Grant

Very nice Will, it's the first pictures I've seen of your fabled front dress set-up. Looks really well made, sturdy and easy to adjust. Which roller is the tensioner?

What exactly do you need to do to the power steering pump if you elect to use it? I'll be using a complete setup from a Pontiac G8 GXP. It is very similar to the CTS-V setup with a low mount alternator and the Corvette belt line.

this setup looks crude compared to will's but it works. normally you throw away the ps pump but filled with oil, with the vanes taken out it makes a good pulley. then you keep everything stock.

Attachments

• front dress4.JPG
    front dress4.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 1,733

Ken Roberts

Supporter
this setup looks crude compared to will's but it works. normally you throw away the ps pump but filled with oil, with the vanes taken out it makes a good pulley. then you keep everything stock.

Cam...did you use the ps reservoir in a loop to keep the ps pump full of oil or do you remove it and seal the inlet and outlet fittings after filling the pump?

I just cracked it open, pulled out the impeller fins so it doenst create any pressure, then filled it with oil and capped it. Bam, you've got a free, oiled, super pulley.

My alternator is low-mounted like the CTS-V, but the PS is upper driver's side and fits "tighter" to head than the alternator did.

I am guessing, if someone is using a electric water pump set-up, then you could just add or use 2 groove crank pulley and mount A/C to one side and the Alt to the other? Has anybody tried this yet?

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter

Hi guys
A word of warning about the power steering pump.

Some of the power steering pumps use bushes instead of bearings and these bushes are lubricated with the power steering fluid under pressure.
Just filling the pump with oil and removing the vanes is not good enough and the pump bushes will fail.(ask me how I know).

I had to remachine the housing to accept proper sealed bearings and then it could be used as an idler with the standard serpentine belt.

It all depends on the type of power steering pump.

Dimi

In my other reply a few up, I asked about the use of a electric water pump and just using a double grove crank pulley for Alternator and A/C. I also found that there are electric water pumps, that have an Idler pulley so you can run a normal belt lay out.

I am looking at using a Katech Track Attack 500, crate motor. Engine Packages | Katech Inc. (4 from the bottom)

As I do not plan on running A/C. I would just use 1 groove for the alt and one for the drysump, as this engine uses an extrenal Daily drysump pump. And change it over to an electric water pump.

Um, guys, I worry about having these belt drives buried in the middle of the car, at the front of the engine right against the firewall. If the belt(s) break, we would need to spend much money or time to fix just the belt, not to mention the resultant damage a broken belt would cause.

Keith Black Engines has a set-up whereby they drive the accessories with gears, not belts. It seems to me to be much more reliable, in a mid-engine application.

Gear Drives - keithblack.com

What do you all think?

Bassanio et Porta

Back