Dual Nostril

Looking for a dual nostril to do some surgery on, paint color does not matter. Will be used on an SPF.

Thanks
Kevin

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Kevin are you going to do this?

Attachments

• finished nostrils 006.jpg
    finished nostrils 006.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 389
  • finished nostrils 005.jpg
    finished nostrils 005.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 360
By way of comparison, here's the business end of an original GT40 Mk 1 road car nose piece.

CIMG1420.jpg

The cutout is for the oil cooler. Note that great consideration was given to airflow, unlike the standard piece from Superformance (and several other replicas) which gets the external visuals right, but is grossly lacking in science underneath. Jack's solution is a great attempt at defeating that engineering stupidity, but I think that managing airflow at speed is more important than developing tunnel-shaped openings for fan efficiency.

Arguably the later-style Mk 1 nose with its single, much larger scoop is probably much more effective. But I definitely like the aesthetics of the two-nostril nose better, and for our purposes it's certainly good enough....

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis made some mods to mine by removing the center section. I think it came out looking great and the car runs cool. I'll snap a pic if you're interested.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
My reason was to get the hot air of the foot well and it does a good job at that. It was done to spare expense of purchasing a better piece as Mike Drew has posted and have it repainted. Someday.....

My reason was to get the hot air of the foot well and it does a good job at that.

This is the main motivation, although I have to believe that venting out the top rather than dealing with the turbulence under the front clam would be beneficial.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
This is the main motivation, although I have to believe that venting out the top rather than dealing with the turbulence under the front clam would be beneficial.
OFF the foot well, I need a nap. Your right about the turbulence and also the additional air the would have to go out the wheel areas.

sounds like a good update then...why didn't they (GT40 replica fabricators) make such better nostril in the first place?
sounds almost like a must have solution.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
sounds like a good update then...why didn't they (GT40 replica fabricators) make such better nostril in the first place?
sounds almost like a must have solution.

I believe SPF is the only one with a funky duel nostril. I think all the rest look normal.

Malcolm

Supporter
My reason was to get the hot air of the foot well and it does a good job at that. It was done to spare expense of purchasing a better piece as Mike Drew has posted and have it repainted. Someday.....

If you wish to see less hot air in the footwells, then you need to reduce under front clip air pressure. This can also be achievd by letting some air into the wheel arch area as well as playing with the nostril panels..

GTRene/Jack,
SPF is not the only one.............. the majority of them do not make a full dropped twin nostril panel. I have two that are half-depth, and one that I got fom Jay Cushman that is full depth. It is actually oversize so that you can trim it properly for your radiator/fan combination. It looks almost identical to the pic posted by Mike Drew.

If you look closely at the replicas you will see that the sides of the nostril panel on the top are thicker/wider than the originals. This puts the ducts more inboard. Personally I like the look of the original style panels more. The deep twin nostril panel is also a two-piece part glassed together, and costs more because of it. It would make a lot of sense to make them oversize depth and length-wise for ease of custom fitment, but if they are only concerned about parts for their own cars why bother........

The single nostril panels are different as well. Only a few companies produce the panel with a straight lip across the top seen on the original cars (MK1). Regards, Scott

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
GTRene/Jack,
SPF is not the only one.............. the majority of them do not make a full dropped twin nostril panel. I have two that are half-depth, and one that I got fom Jay Cushman that is full depth. It is actually oversize so that you can trim it properly for your radiator/fan combination. It looks almost identical to the pic posted by Mike Drew.

The single nostril panels are different as well. Only a few companies produce the panel with a straight lip across the top seen on the original cars (MK1). Regards, Scott

ah, Thx,
also this website sells dual nostril wich also looks like the picture Mike posted, at least on the drawing.

Cushman Competition

and here you can choose which section you want to see more, all drawings :D

Cushman Competition

not came across that website before.

Cushman Competition, Jay Cushman....one and the same.

Cheers!

Doug

ah thanks, I did not made that link :idea: good to know, so those are the one's you could use (for some type replica's) when you need a more perfect system if you have the sort of "problems" as described above.

Thx RS

Back