Engine for my 1972 Holden HQ 1 Tonner [Australia]

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about upgrading my ute with a new engine but am uncertain where to go. I need more horses to pull my wagon! The 308 Holden engine that is in it now has got about 220 hp only.

I'm in Australia and crate engine suppliers over here are limited. As far as I understand we can't just import engines into this country from the US where prices are much better. I've made a short list of engines and prices and I think I'll go for a big block Chevy. Here a comparison:

SAM_02172.jpg
SAM_02172.jpg
SAM_02172.jpg

Any thoughts on this? Have I missed any crate engine supplier here in Australia in the above list?

Also a picture of my little baby:
SAM_0217.JPG

Last edited:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

Have a look at Eagle Auto Parts or Suburban Imports.

Both of the above companies do crate engines here in Sydney.

Dimi

Hi brisc, Rocket industrys will import for you. They deal with coast high performance in the US. I am sure they could provide what you want.
Cheers, Gus.

You can import an engine for yourself from USA if you wish, talk to an importer that brings in cars from US all the time they will help you with shipping prices and all the details. (probably cost $400 ish + gst, customs etc)
If you go the late model route you will also require a computer to run the engine, fuel lines and fuel pump to suit along with pressure regulator.
A new radiator to expel all the heat from the extra horse power, a new set of header pipes to and exhaust modifications to suit. Engine mounts will need to be done.
If your 308 block should be a chev bolt pattern block (where the bellhousing bolts up) so you should be able to bolt up you trans, you will need a new clutch/flywheel/torque converter to suit, (you will be able to get your torque converter modified to suit).

Power Torque Engines has LS series engines available too (07)38812739, you will have to talk to them about price availability, they have done plenty with this type of conversion etc too. I would recommend a call just to be sure you are going in the right direction even if you don't use them.

I hope this helps.

Thanks awesome guys thank you so much for your reply. Thanks Lindsey for these infos.

When you say import an engine for yourself from the USA - can I register the car here in Australia? I thought this was not possible! I thought it had to comply to Australian emissions etc. and what not - or does this only apply for new cars? Including kitcars?

I'll give Power Torque Engines a ring...

Thanks again!

Why not use an LS motor? I'm not sure about the compatibility between the newer chev(y) motors and the older Holden motors, but I assume if you want a BBC an LS would work too. It seems that there are a lot of those engines there, so it may also be easier to get parts (Even in California getting parts for a BBC is somewhat difficult). If you keep the injection you may also have less problems getting it on the road legally.

If you've got a 308ci motor in your car you should be able to get a lot more than 220hp out of it. What about some better heads? Better fueling and ignition?

If you don't mind me sayin' you should be able to easily get 300-350hp out of a 308.

Brisc, being a 72 manufacture date, I think the ADR standards for that time apply. I don't think the charcoal canisters appeared untill about 74 or 75. That being minimal restrictions should be applied. Although I am no expert in this area. Can someone else chime in?

If you've got a 308ci motor in your car you should be able to get a lot more than 220hp out of it. What about some better heads? Better fueling and ignition?

If you don't mind me sayin' you should be able to easily get 300-350hp out of a 308.

Yes, I agree. One rule is naturally aspirated: 75-100 HP/litre.

I am playing with a few things at the moment before changing the engine. That is 1) ignition system and 2) fueling. Both of these systems can be changed over to the other engine.

1) Ignition System
I've upgraded to a multi-spark ignition unit (Mallory HyFire 6AL2) with a magnetic breakerless distributor. The system works great and I feel things have gotten a lot better at low rpm (up to 2000 rpm).

I first had a distributor and ignition box from PRO COMP electronics - but that failed after just 2 months. I've then bought a proper system from Mallory and it works well.

P1012333.JPG

P1012343.JPG

2) I will change from the carby to electronic fuel injection. I've done a lot of research on the topic already and have selected the Holley HP EFI system (P/N 550-412). It's not in the car yet but I'm working on it. It's a great EFI system that can adjust timing and AFR on a number of inputs (oxygen sensor in exhaust, knock sensor, fuel/air pressures and temperature).

I can hopefully post some results here soon...

Back