Can I fit a supercharger in the engine bay? // answered thanks!

Hello, I am still in the planning stages and not yet ready to purchase my kit/power-train. I was wondering if I would be able to fit a supercharged 5.4 motor under the clamshell? I am thinking about purchasing a ford GT crate motor with supercharger, and was wondering if I could fit the thing before I actually buy the motor. Has anyone tried, or does anyone know if its a possibility? Thanks

P.S. I wan't to be different from all the LS series people :p

Last edited:
Re: Can I fit a supercharger in the engine bay?

If you can find a Ricardo that would be the way to go, just needing a spacer between the Ford engine and the Ford trans (instead of an adapter). I think Fran already said the SC will not fit under glass using this engine.

If you can find a Ricardo that would be the way to go, just needing a spacer between the Ford engine and the Ford trans (instead of an adapter). I think Fran already said the SC will not fit under glass using this engine.

OK thanks, now that I think of it I don't think the motor comes with the supercharger anyway, so if I decide to go with it, I'll just get a different belt and tune, and maybe if I get bored with the 400? (not sure what it makes without the supercharger) or so hp I can throw a turbo setup or something. Damn dry sump is gonna be a pain. :p Thanks!

OK thanks, now that I think of it I don't think the motor comes with the supercharger anyway, so if I decide to go with it, I'll just get a different belt and tune, and maybe if I get bored with the 400? (not sure what it makes without the supercharger) or so hp I can throw a turbo setup or something. Damn dry sump is gonna be a pain. :p Thanks!

Naturally, most people here (including Fran) would recommend and LS376 as the best bang for buck motor, but being a blue oval fan that's not what you want to hear. How about getting a Ford Racing 427ci? Seems like it would compete with an engine like the LS7 quite nicely. With 535 HP I'm not sure you would even need a blower... especially in a car that weights as little as the SL-C.

Steve

Supporter
The 5.4L is gonna be a bit wide and tall. Fran would know if it will fit but if it does it'll be really tight. It is a great engine, easy to bump past it's 550hp with a pulley change and a tune. If you remove the SC it's not going to run great as the CR is around 8.5, not ideal at all.

If you're sold on a mod V8, I'd go with a 4.6 and bump it out to 5.0 and turbo it. It'll be easier to fit and still make more power than you could ever ask. Even a mild twin turbo setup would be over 800hp with stock heads. Need to toughen up the bottom end. I happen to have a core (long block plus intake) sitting at DSS racing if you're interested. Great company to customize your 4.6L any way you like.

I agree with Ryeno and think the 351 Windsor bumped out to 427ci is plenty of power and an easier fit. You could always add boost later if you want.

The 5.4L is gonna be a bit wide and tall. Fran would know if it will fit but if it does it'll be really tight. It is a great engine, easy to bump past it's 550hp with a pulley change and a tune. If you remove the SC it's not going to run great as the CR is around 8.5, not ideal at all.

If you're sold on a mod V8, I'd go with a 4.6 and bump it out to 5.0 and turbo it. It'll be easier to fit and still make more power than you could ever ask. Even a mild twin turbo setup would be over 800hp with stock heads. Need to toughen up the bottom end. I happen to have a core (long block plus intake) sitting at DSS racing if you're interested. Great company to customize your 4.6L any way you like.

I agree with Ryeno and think the 351 Windsor bumped out to 427ci is plenty of power and an easier fit. You could always add boost later if you want.

Well, my long term goal was to make it a turbo car anyway. I've seen twin turbo Ford GTs make 1000+ hp on pump gas with minimal modifications to the actual motor itself. So I figured the pathetic power of a low compression n/a motor will make me hurry with the twin (or single big) turbo setup once I get a feel for the car, and have it set up like I want it. I figured I could run a moderate setup with the turbos, and I dont feel like buying a motor and then upgrading its internals later. I've also heard that dry sump lubrication is the way to go for a track (day) car, and I can get the motor and recardo transaxle combo for like $22k. So since the Ford GT is tried and proven, its got dry sump, low compression for future turbos, and made to hook up to the recardo, what do I have to lose? So it may run like shit for a while If I cant cram the supercharger in the engine bay, but it is dry sump so the motor will be lower (also helping center of gravity) and thus providing some extra clearance maybe... I'm not sure, thats why im in the brainstorming stage, and not ready to light my wallet on fire yet... :p

If I am right it would be the back of the Supercharge where the throttle body would be with the set used in a GT. If you are willing to do a few mods to the body work, then you can always make things fit. I know FRAN has said that 5.4L will fit and has used them in the past.

I had the same idea at one time, but was planing on using a long block from MMR.

If I am right it would be the back of the Supercharge where the throttle body would be with the set used in a GT. If you are willing to do a few mods to the body work, then you can always make things fit. I know FRAN has said that 5.4L will fit and has used them in the past.

I had the same idea at one time, but was planing on using a long block from MMR.

Funny you mention that, because I actually started looking at MMR the other day, whom I originally heard of for their mustangs. I noticed I could get a brand new aluminum block short/long block 5.4 with much stronger internals and higher quality parts for cheaper than a used ford GT motor pulled out of a wreck, which also carries the risk of damage. This means I could also use higher compression pistons to start out, so I can drive it and get used to the car n/a and swap the pistons later for the turbo(s) If I feel that i need the power.

I also do not understand why a supercharger would not fit, because an ITB fuel injection set-up has been used if I am right. This is taller than a Supercharger would be. It may be due to the length with the throttle body and the bottom rear most area of the window.

If you choose to go with a supercharger, I would not recomend the factory GT supercharger, but either a whippler that makes a kit for the GT or a Kenne Bell unit.

Also opt for the GT500 / GT heads the 4V version

If you do some searching the high horsepower GT are using the supercharger and turbos at the same time.

My husband and me currently have a MMR 5.4L stroker motor in a 2010 GT500 "CLONE" using there Alloy 5.8L 351 block and a Whippler 4.2L supercharger. This is my husbands car and do not drive it very much, as I am not much for drag racing, I have driven the car on the street a few times and it is a nice package.

I would recomend going the supercharger route to start with. I am sure Fran would be able to work with you for any fitment issues. You will need a strong transaxle to back it up though.

Last edited:
Back