RCR SLC door handles?

I was curious were the handles came from. It looks Like they are Miata handles. I ordered a new set as mine were a pretty beat up. I am also curious how the handles connect to the latch. They come with a threaded bar but I was thinking about taking the bar off and using a simple cable to actuate the latch.

Gen 1 mazda miata handles.

Mine were pretty beat up too :(

The "long bar" will go through into the bear-claw latch to release it - you'll have to bend it to fit and don't bother nutting it down, it won't escape from the latch.

You could do a cable pull to release them from the inside, but I gave up on mine and just open them by sticking my hand through the window hole and pulling on the latch - for some reason my cable pull system would cause the door to twist out of alignment over time/use. As soon as I got rid of it it was alllll good. Conclusion - Alex is not an engineer :D

Miata handles, do yourself a favor and fabricate (and attach) a small guide bracket near the rear of the door (inner) to control movement of the rod or cable, problem gone!

You can purchase a matched door key set from a Mazda dealer for the outer handles, or
disassemble and install a polished round "slug" in place of the lock cylinder. MAKE SURE THE RETURN SPRING IS SECURE ON THE HANDLE. Add one if necessary. Grind off the lower corner of the bearclaw latches on the latch side, prevents any scratching of the fiberglass. Works a treat.

Last edited:
Why are yours beat up Alex? I'll save the jokes this time:drunk:

Dean: Would this photo help you?

Attachments

• IMG_4083.jpg
    IMG_4083.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 507
Thanks, that is a good shot for the interoir handle but I was referring to a cable from the extior handle to the latch. Do you have a shot of that? It would be a short cable, maybe 3 or 4 inches.

Thanks, that is a good shot for the interoir handle but I was referring to a cable from the extior handle to the latch. Do you have a shot of that? It would be a short cable, maybe 3 or 4 inches.

You don't need a cable. The latch comes with that long rod (with threads on the end). Use a vice and bend the rod to fit into the holes in the latch. Don't bother nutting it down because it won't pop out of the bear claw latch.

Back