oil cooler mount pictures?

Dean - I'm sure there are better pictures, but if you look close you'll see some coolers/fans.

Attachments

• Rear Bay.jpg
    Rear Bay.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 605
  • Rear Bay-coolers.jpg
    Rear Bay-coolers.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 577
IMO, the best spot for a cooler is in the side scoop area, unless you have the side exhaust. You will have to fab some brackets anyway. With the Ricardo gearbox the room for a rear mounted cooler and exhaust is limited. Anyone else care to chime in?

I mounted the cooler today. I put it in the scoop area sort of. I have side exhaust so I had to really tuck it up out of the way. I will add a heat shield once the body is mounted for the last time. There was no way to mount it in the rear where the factory car has them mounted. My cooler is larger with a fan.

Thanks for your help.

Dean, I mounted mine like the race cars but I turned them 90 degrees so the top is towards the front of the car. it seams like it will vent better that way with the street tail and wing

Wing mounts, I go to VIR to play on the track for member days, but I wanted to drive my car on the steet as well so I told Fran to set me up similar to a GT3 RS so he picked out what would be the best options for that. Unfortunately they did not tell me that the tail would not swing up with the wing mounts in place, so they are working that out, they say they will have a answer in a couple of days. Currently you have to lift the tail off the car, not good for checking the engine out for leaks or fire by yourself.
If you have the race tail, you should mount your coolers like Frans. with the street tail they flow into a dead space, but with the race tail they work great where he has them. I still think the outside of the cooler needs a brace so it doesn't strees fracture itself to failure.

If you just want the tail off in your garage to do repairs or general work, you can do like I do since I have no one to help remove the tail of my 40. Some 2-3"cotton tie down straps and an engine hoist work well together to lift it and place it out of the way. Its amazing what you will think up when there isn't any help around.

Bill

Still want to hinge it. If there is a fire you will have a heck of a time getting to it, first car I saw was John Salmons. His opened easily, so no reason mine shouldn't.

The race car ran the street tail last year but this year he is running the race tail. I believe those pictures above are for the race tail set up.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
You are all right...a bit.

Last year on the 01 race car we ran the street tail with the lower street diffuser section removed ....no need to hinge the tail on a race car...it needs to be removable....

This year we are running the original "race" tail section that we designed for the SLC and the rear wing...commonly know as the race tail....this tail is also removable on the race car...again no hinges....when used on a street car this tail hinges and the rear wing does not interfere with this hinging action.

John Salmons car has the same tail...the original race tail....and his tail hinges as he has a street legal car and may one day use it on the road....he can leave his rear wing in place and hinge his tail without issue.

Rockhopper has the "street tail" with the lower diffuser AND the rear race wing....but the rear wing interferes with the hinging of the tail.

Rock hopper does not want a removable tail as he wants to be able to single handedly open the tail and service his car when at the track...currently the only way to do this is to have the rear wing on quick pins, to make it easily removable and then put slots on the tail section that enable the tail to hinge past the wing mounts...

We are playing with a design that will enable the street tail to hinge AND the rear race spec wing to be used but its always going to be a little of a compromise..

Hope you guys can follow all that...phew..

Last edited:
Back