P1003 Sale

That's going to take some big bucks to buy!! The guy leaning between the windscrene & door with the bald spot. Might be John Collins (sure looks like his bald head LOL). He was Dan Guernie's crew chief in 67&8 (or 8&9 I forget, the back to back GT-40 wins at Le Mans). Later worked for Lothat Machenbacker. He passed a few years ago but I saw his son Grahm out at Fontanna last weekend.
Mike S

Since the gentleman in question is wearing a drivers suit I would rather think it is Guy Ligier, one of the co drivers of this car.

I love this car. The patina, especially the interior, is something that should remain untouched. It reminds me that at this years Amelia Island Concours (AIC) event they had 9 F-car 250 GTO's of which one had not been touched for years and years and its the one that drew me in the most. I've seen a couple of other GT40's for sale (like the one at this years AIC) and while they are breathtaking I feel they are somewhat over restored. Just a personal thing I guess. Regardless, thanks Jimmy for posting this.

I saw this car parked by itself at Le Mans after Le Mans Classic several years ago. After the race it was all but ignored, and I had the opportunity to just sit and examine it for about 30-40 minutes. I was captivated by it.

What a car!

The sister car of Ford France, P/1020 I believe, is in the Le Mans museum....

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Here is P/1020 in the Le Mans museum.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 10.27.18 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 10.27.18 AM.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 380
This was one of the first GT40's I saw close up many years ago. It was at Foley Park Motors in Kidderminster and was for sale. I tried to get my Dad to buy it, but my request fell on deaf ears. It was painted Lime Green at the time.

Interesting venting all the way along top back of the spider that I don't think I've seen on any of the others. Was that unique to 1003?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Interesting venting all the way along top back of the spider that I don't think I've seen on any of the others. Was that unique to 1003?

Done on the early prototype and production cars.

The vent was part of the complex internal venting system Ford designed that was abandoned early on due to aero drag issues. The surface area of the exit vents had to equal or exceed the volume of air that was to be vented via the seat grommets and dash eyeballs to work properly.

Thanks, I knew about the existence of that system, that it didn't work and was abandoned but didn't know the technical details or that those vents were a feature.

Hi there,

This car was show in "Un homme et une femme" Claude Lelouche movie in 1966. All french guy dreamed about this Racer story.

Attachments

• gt010038ok5.9039.jpg
    gt010038ok5.9039.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 351
  • i003095.jpg
    i003095.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 349
Back