Traveling with SL-C

Wondering if anyone has done any traveling with an SL-C? I know this is an unusual question. I've always found the more limited the vehicle the more fun it is. Guess it would be a step up for storage from a sportbike. Wondering who else has traveled with an SL-C? If I decide to take the wife out of town on a trip is there enough room for a duffel bag of some sort? Maby in the passenger floorboard?

Also had an idea of towing a small trailer behind the SL-C and wondering if something like the following would be possible.

Third Wheel Trailers - When play becomes the long haul, we are right behind you.

If a motorcycle can pull it with no problems I doubt the SL-C would have much of an issue. Biggest problem I can see would be attaching some kind of hitch to mount the trailer tong to. Trailer weight is 80lbs & has a 100lb load limit. It would be nice to travel in comfort along some of the back roads around California and spend weekends away with a car like the SL-C.

Once at the hotel it would be easy wheel the trailer into a ground floor room and take off with the car.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Daniel,

Welcome.

I'm not sure too much traveleing in SLCs has taken place yet, just because they are fairly new.

I know a number of folks here have made trips in GT40s, similar in size and lack of storage.

I know of one several thousand mile trip in a 40 with wife and dog, so I'm sure it can be done.

Mesa, a regular poster here has moved his SLC radiators to the side and added a front trunk (check his build log).

I personally think a road trip in my 40 would be great! But, alas, I'm not too sure my lovely bride would find it as fun as I:)

Last edited:
Also had an idea of towing a small trailer behind the SL-C and wondering if something like the following would be possible.

troll1.png

Thanks Jim!

I'll check out Mesa build. Even with a purpose built track machine like the SL-C it would be nice to have a luggage compartment. I'm used to packing light due to limited space with sportbike luggage.

I was considering those roof mount luggage compartments and havent decided on if it would be something possible to use yet. My wife likes to pack a full suitcase every time we head out of town and I dont want to damage the body of the SL-C.

Thanks for the comments. I'll be planning my build and looking forward to having a true race inspired machine. Sports cars are fun for now. I'm ready to move onto the next step.

Thanks Jim!

I'll check out Mesa build. Even with a purpose built track machine like the SL-C it would be nice to have a luggage compartment. I'm used to packing light due to limited space with sportbike luggage.

I was considering those roof mount luggage compartments and havent decided on if it would be something possible to use yet. My wife likes to pack a full suitcase every time we head out of town and I dont want to damage the body of the SL-C.

Thanks for the comments. I'll be planning my build and looking forward to having a true race inspired machine. Sports cars are fun for now. I'm ready to move onto the next step.
Being single simplifies luggage space requirements.:)

Another item to ease your travel with your SL-C: if you built it with enough ground clearance (4 inches?), you would probably have enough ground clearance to not worry about pretty much any regular road.

But I still am unsure about approach and departure angles. Any help here, guys?

Bassanio et Portia :)

Do trailers exist that are actually engineered to stand up to rapid transit behind high-performance automobiles?

Back