First Impression in person on the SLC

First impression in person. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I went and saw the SLC in person on Friday and can give my first impressions on what I saw. Will had his white unfinished one and a red turn key one at his place. <o:p></o:p>
So I walk and see it and it looks amazing. What great lines and an amazing looking car. Stunning. I was loving it and got a little gitty. So first impression on the outside I was blown away. Looks great. <o:p></o:p>
Then we started to talk and go over the car. I like the doors and how they go up. Seeing the engine through the cover looks great also. I plan on putting a V6 in mine so I might have to spend a day or two fabrication up a custom intake manifold so when you see the engine there is a wow factor. So the engine will need a dress up and some love on my end to match the beauty of the cars looks. <o:p></o:p>
This car is red and wow it looks good in red. I plan to order white and buff the gel coat at first. It that comes out really good I might just leave it or paint it later. Now I need to decide on white or red as I like both, uggg. <o:p></o:p>
The engine compartment and chassis. Amazing job, I love the alum chassis and how the car is constructed. It looks well done. Love the suspension and how it done. Engine can come in and out really easy so that is nice and there is a lot of room. I did not know it came with a surge tank so one less thing to buy. <o:p></o:p>
so lets get to the interior. Talking to fran he said it was way easier to get in and out of compared to my Elise. Well, ok, it might be easier, but not by much. The doors coming up help a little but are still in the way a little. I guess that is really just getting used to it. <o:p></o:p>
Seats, hmmmmmm. First on the size. I fit in the 17 well and feels ok. The big boy seat is too larger. But I want padding and comfort as I plan to drive it a bunch. I am short, 5-6, so headroom is not an issue for me. I sure hope they come out with the A4 or some other seat that will fit and be more comfortable. These are basically track seats and I want more of a street car. Need to figure out something here for sure. <o:p></o:p>
I was worried the dash was not going to look good to me and would have to fabricate my own, but in person it does work ok and actually look ok. This car had the carbon fiber interior and I will be getting this. It looks pretty good. I think I might need to buff it to make it shinny, but it looked good and fit ok. This will also save me time later when finishing the interior. This car did not have any carpet so that will need to be done and should make the interior look a lot more finished. So I know I will be spending some time on the interior part of the car to make it look and feel nice. I felt this is the part of the car that actually looked very kit car to me and not up to the finish of the rest of the car. I was told this is a track only car so it makes sense to be Spartan, but I can see work can be done to have a super nice finish. Seats being the first thing. I am a bit surprised that Fran does not have a more street seat option that first nice and can be a nice high end seat option (hint hint Fran or should I say Wink like you do). The single gauge is really cool and looks good. I am going to try to source some very high end switches or something to go in the middle to look good. The steering wheel, well, it kindoff lame to me for sure. Will had a C6 custom Corvette wheel that looks and felt totally amazing so I will be going that route for sure on my car and I am really glad I saw his. Sorry Will, stealing ideas over here, but giving credit at least. <o:p></o:p>
When about to leave I look at the high mount side mirrors. I am not really liking how they look up there, but that is just my visual opinion. Now I look at them and the glass part of the mirror sticks out like 2" or something. Fitment on these for that part is horrendous. I look at it and if someone has fiberglass skills they could make it work and would need to extend it a bunch so it does not look so so bad. I would not keep that on my 80-100K car for sure. So I will be ordering the old style ones or the APR ones I saw someone else getting as they look good. At least seeing the car in person lets me know that I will not get those mirrors in the current state they are finished. <o:p></o:p>
OK, so we go for a ride and I almost crush my hand in the door, almost. Lesson learned there, dang. Seat belt goes on. I might do a 3 point normal car system for mine if I get the street seats to make it easy and might add a 5-6 points if I ever track the car. Will starts the engine and this engine compartment is by far the loudest I have ever heard in my life. This car has no sound detonating and almost no mufflers with side exit. I like that looks, but will be going backwards for my street car. I now see why people spend a lot of time of sound detonating issues and take their time there. I will be doing as much as I can to keep it a big quiet for normal use. We pull out and car feels good and when he gets on it it just goes and pulls really good. WOW, it feels good. <o:p></o:p>
So when Will leaves he drops me off at my truck/trailer and drives off. Now is when it looks really amazing as the rear is slow low and the lines of the car are just amazing. <o:p></o:p>
So I ponder my first impression for a few days now and I still want the car, just a little less than before and I only have a few gripes I will need to work out. The seats are not great for me as I want the car mainly for a street car. I can see why there are multiple threads on seats and people going in so many different directions (GTM seats, A4, Tilltet, padding, seat covering, ETC). Everyone is trying to find a solution to same problem here. I am glad I saw Wills steering wheel as I will do the same. The interior will need to have some TLC to get the fit and finish to the lever of the rest of the car. The Rapier cars gives me some hope for a nice interior. I might get some Alcantara and see what I can come up with as it needs to feel and be high end if the car costs as much as it does. So overall I still want it and I am pretty sure that I will get it. <o:p></o:p>
Troy <o:p></o:p>

Troy, keep in mind that the SL-C was designed to be reminicent of Group C racing cars, and is primarily a track car that can be built for street use. That said, the CF interior and some carpet is all you will need to appear more "streetable". There are many ways to finish the dash. Soft touch paint, flocking, CF, or a combination of those are all easily done. The Rapier style interior can also be done for upscale styling.

Troy, my car will be a "street" version and sound levels/seating has to be comfortable for me. If I'm not comfortable - I won't drive it that much, which would be a shame. I was advised that Superlite is/has designed a new street seat and my car should come with it. But, I have no idea what it will look like or what changes have been made.

Lately it looks like Virginia will have quite a SL-C presence based on who has one now, who has ordered and prospective inquiries.

Troy...glad you visitied Will.....and enjoyed the car.

Seats and steering wheels are very personal items...hence the massive success for both of these items in the aftermarket industry...

Obviously we have done fully trimmed interiors on the Rapier cars and others....they can get expensive quickly if the work is all being outsourced...check the price on the Tillet carbon seats with no upholstery...as a starting point...

The factory seats when upholstered are actually pretty darn comfortable...but not everyones bum is the same size or shape...

The new mirrors will also come with a convex lens to enable a wider field of view ,elimating the need to tilt the lens so far...still waiting for the supplier on the lens though...

I have mentioned to many guys that 480hp makes for a very fast car...as you can now attest...

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>I can see how it was a track car first and that is fine, but I do want a more street version so some mods will be done. I am thinking that if there were options for a street seat and little more interior items as options, like carpet, etc. Then it might open up for more customers who are not into track mainly cars. I have a track only car I can beat the heck out of and want this as more of my special street car. I like how people will think I am crazy to drive it work everyday. hmmm. <o:p></o:p>
Sharky- Funny how we are only like an hour apart with the few SLC builds out there. I will be down to help when I can to get ideas for my own car. I hope to be able to sit in your street seat so see how it feels. I am glad I am not the only crazy one wanting a comfy seat and if there are a few out there there must be a lot more with the same need. That Corbaeu A4 seat sure looks nice. I have had a few jokes on me about short in my life, 5-6, but in this case it sure works out nice being able to get different seats that bump me up a bit and still drive the car fine. Maybe some tall people jokes are in order now. <o:p></o:p>
On the steering wheel I am going to be happy with something like what Will had there even with some radio controls with the buttons. Now that is just too cool and I can see why his car is taking a while with little things like that. It will be really nice when done. <o:p></o:p>
I am thinking with just a little options like carpet, sound issues and maybe seats it might open up to other customers. I can source those and figure it out for sure so no worries, but others, who knows. <o:p></o:p>
On the mirrors I am thinking to just stick with the old style for me, yet the newer ones would work better and if finished without the actual lens sticking out a few inches the finished product might look ok.<o:p></o:p>
This car might be the fastest I have been in for sure. I am glad to know it is a 480hp version I wanted to get. So when I do up my V6 Twin Turbo if it does not feel good enough then I know where to go, but 450rwhp should feel fine for me. Plus, hearing that turbo spool is nice. <o:p></o:p>
</o:p>

Now this I could see myself getting in each day. Very nice.
Rapier-Interior-Render.jpg

What mirrors are those on the rapier car in that pic? Are those the older style ones? I think those look pretty good. Decisions again. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

That interior should be no problem - just have a large bag with pictures of dead presidents in it.....

Not to scare you but when done there was $14,000 invested in that interior....with electronics..and that was my out of pocket cost.

I am not a believer in having people buy parts they are going to discard...one of the reasons we put good brakes on as standard...no point in selling a hipo car with single piston calipers just to hoodwink people into thinking the kit is a good deal because its cheaper...and then they have to buy an "option" or upgrade after the fact for more money as the car warrants/needs bigger brakes to handle the rest of the cars performance potential......same goes for interior upholstery/carpet /trim/steering wheel etc...

Upholstering is a craft and art form and to get an OEM level of fit and finish it must be done once the car is completely built...this is a handbuilt car afterall..with that said the interior panels we offer are a great starting point in either Carbon or in FRP and are a much better integrated solution, out of the box than most in our industry.....there are no short cuts and you certainly get what you pay for with a good craftsman.

FYI..You did not see all of the interior parts as they are not on the red car BTW.

If those are your shortlist items for personalisation then your visit was a success...and I am doing my job fairly well...

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about the a street seat but it would be a great Idea, as this has been a big issue for me and a few others. I have spent many days looking for seats and if I keep the car I will have to make custom seats.
I am only 6'1" but I am a solid 280 lbs very broad in the shoulders and factory seats will not work for me, One of my biggest regrets was not looking at one in person before I bought it, It never even crossed my mind that I may not fit in it. Its a great looking car but you need a skinny butt. Fran needs to build a SL-T...ruck for us larger gentlemen sized guys lol.

Our biggest SL-C customer is 6'5" and he is around 280lbs...and he wears a helmet for on track driving too...

Its really all dependent upon your physique proportions

Troy, it was great to meet you, and I'm glad you got to see and ride in an SLC. Not too many people- even those who are actually building one- have actually done that.

As has been pointed out before, the red car is a track car, so it dispensed with sealing, insulation, and any other comfort items except AC, so you would expect it to be loud. And it is! :devil:

But many builders, myself included, are building fully-trimmed street cars, and they will have interiors like the Rapiers (if not better, or at least different). When you seal the car up, stop all the air intrusion, follow Wayne's advice on reducing vibration, etc, I'm pretty sure you will end up with a very civilized car. Just don't confuse a track car with a street car- they are completely different animals in terms of a build approach, and result.

Re the seats, it's worth mentioning again that the Rapiers have the same standard seats that everyone starts out with, and they have several advantages: no incremental cost, can be mounted very low in the car for increased headroom, can be upholstered to a very high standard as in the Rapier cars, are based on a Porsche race car seat, are relatively very light, and importantly, come in both the normal size, and the "Gentlemans" size which is two inches wider. I had a guy that was pretty wide fit in them and feel very good about it. He and I were both a little surprised that he fit even in the narrow seats. For drivers that need an even wider seat, either one could be widened still further if needed. If changes need to be made like trimming the shoulder wings, for example, it's just fiberglass, so trim away! So there is something to be said for thinking about using them. But building these cars is the ultimate in automotive expression- you get to build them your way. So builders use different seats, wheels, tires, shocks, interior bits and so forth, as a way of making the car fit their own vision. The fact that parts like seats get so much attention is because they are parts that are are easy to swap out and make a real change, just like wheels.

Steering wheels are another similar topic. Many builders are using the stock wheel, but some extreme nutballs like myself are doing more. Again, it is just one more way to make the car match the vision each builder has.

As far as getting in and out of the car, I heard that Fran has developed an ISO 9000 procedure for doing that, and that it comes taped to each door.

Just kidding! But like many things, there is a technique, and once mastered, it isn't too hard to get in or out- you just have to know the way that works best for you. I've gotten in and out of Elises with the top on, and it can be pretty brutal for a guy my size (6', 205), especially with aftermarket seats. The SLC is waaayy easier. But you have to know what you are doing. For sure you don't just flop in like getting into a minivan.

As regards carpet, I think it's a good thing that it isn't in the kit. It's too personal - starting with color, and ending with material and quality- to meet everyone's needs, and a track car doesn't need it. So why include it?

If you are building an SLC, or any kind of component car, you will find thousands of decision points reprsenting thousands of choices that in a production car are made for you. If you want other people to make those choices on your behalf, a Corvette or Porsche may be a better choice. But if you want to be personally involved in every detail of your car, then an SLC is a really good platform for making a unique, fast and fun car that you can be proud to say you built yourself.

Built, not bought!

-Will

"Steering wheels are another similar topic. Many builders are using the stock wheel, but some extreme nutballs like myself are doing more. Again, it is just one more way to make the car match the vision each builder has."

Ha! I have 4 steering wheels in my shop and I can't decide which one I'll eventually use!

Will, very well put and thanks again for the ride. I think we all will have little things that we will want to make different as we are all individuals, but that is what probably brought us to a kit car in the first place. I would bet we all have the OCD sickness when it comes to cars if we want to tackle the project like the SLC. I am sure in the end I will have what I want. I am really glad to hear that car had no sound insulation or anything to help and gives me hope it will be a nice queit-ish street car, at cruising speeds on the highway at least.

I am going to start out with the normal size seats in the car for me depending on the street seat option and go from there. I would get the wider seat on the pass, but Fran said it does not fit as the center is offset to fit the driver better. I will see what local upholstery guys I have in my area when the car is finished. Using the carbon fiber interior panels should help a bunch with costs and I would think I could do carpet and things like that myself.

I am not into super loud perfectly clear radio so something that can sound just OK is going to be fine for me as that cost can go crazy quickly. So a head unit and maybe 4 speakers should do me fine. Maybe add an amp and sub and be done if needed.

So my list of things with the car is very little which is a statment to what Fran has built here and the reason I am going to buy the car. It was this or a 997.1TT used. But as my wife says, the 997 just looks like every other Porsche to her and she was suppised I wanted it as that is not my normal style. Crazy MR2's, race car MR2, Lotus Elise, Austin Mini body on a MR2 chassis and now an SLC. Maybe I am getting old or growing up, but going up for sure with this.

Troy, I remember that Mini on the MR2. I read a good article on that project somewhere.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I saw that also, called the guy, he would not sell the car or make a body for me and that was 10 years ago. I finally have a place big enough to do it and just started working on it a few weeks ago. I got a 1962 Austin Mini a few years ago and stuck it in the back of the shop. A little mini you can do that. This will be a big project and we will see how it goes when done. I got the MR2 a few months ago and just stripped it down. I am starting to cut up the chassis and see how it will all fit together. I like the mini musclecar look with big tires, wide fenders and all. I thought it looked crazy cool.

mini1.jpg

Back