What little things?

So I am selling my Elise in the new few weeks for the rest fo the cash to get the SLC and I am starting to gather up the little items I will need. Any help and thoughts on what I will need. I made a quick list here, but I am sure I am missing somethings. I am trying to get little things now and get organized so when I get it I can do totally OCD, lock myself in the shop and get it done. I am saving up vacation now and should be able to have 2 weeks off when it comes and do 12-14 hour days the entire time off. Now if I can finish up some things before then good, like making the engine all pretty and nice, but what else will I need. Did you all have to wait to get anything that stalled your progess?

Slc items needed
Bosch fuel pump- 044
Holley fuel pump transfer
Ann fittings for fuel- which ones and how long?
sound material
Steering wheel - nicer from C6- Will's fault
Alcantara- Wrap console and who knows what else
Remote brake bias adjuster for Tilton
Seat belts- not sure on which yet
Carpet
Radio- something, nothing major
Radar detector- I think I might need this
Tire- Nitto Evo's
Lug nuts or longer studs?
Exhaust piping/flanges
Mufflers- I like how Borla sounds to me
Seat Slider drivers side- OMP?
Switch for dash- nice- which not sure, thoughts?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Engine/ecu
Make pretty- powdercoat valve covers, etc
Fabricate new intake so it looks good through the glass
Fabricate brackets for AC
Make engine/trans mounts for V6 and move forward in chassis
Accusump and mount

Here are some other things:

Battery and tray
Misc fasteners, washers, nuts, etc
Filters for the fuel system (probably 10 and 100 micron)
Possibly longer wheel studs, depending on wheels. Validate nuts for sufficient thread engagement, etc.
Speakers, amp, wiring, material for making speaker boxes, etc.
Weatherstrip for doors, etc. Foam bulb for sealing body to chassis, etc.
Body prep and covering materials (sandpaper, paint, primer, vinyl wrap, etc, depending on what you are planning to do there)
Silicone hose for connecting the stainless cooling tubes (unless you are making up a welded tube setup or they have started coming in the kit)
Consider a formal fan shroud (or just tie-wrap the fans to the rad)
Fuel filler hose setup
Throttle cable setup (you said you were going cable, IIRC)

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but that's a good start.

When you write it out, most everything comes with the kit except drivetrain-related stuff.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Here are some other things:

<snip>Consider a formal fan shroud (or just tie-wrap the fans to the rad)

Just a note - do NOT tie-wrap your fans through the radiator fins. The vibrations generated while driving will cause the tie wraps to wear through the fins and cause a leak - ask me how I know ;-(

Dave L

Thanks for the help, I knew I was forgetting things.

Yup, forgot fuel filter and now I thought about it and forgot a fuel pressure regulator.

Suprised it does not come with weather stripping and sealing for the doors and body.

On the cooling hoses I will get the setup that comes with it, but it would be nice to get a complete mandrel one with the kit stock, but if it will not leak under pressure then I will be happy.

I left out a few things
engine
engine ecu
engine wiring harness
connector to fuel rail
FPR
Hoses from my engine to SLC as mine is a V6
Twin turbo items for later
Oil cooler items for later

Just a note - do NOT tie-wrap your fans through the radiator fins. The vibrations generated while driving will cause the tie wraps to wear through the fins and cause a leak - ask me how I know ;-(

Dave L

I agree- but I see this approach all the time. My car has a custom CF shroud -- my first lost-foam composite piece.

I agree- but I see this approach all the time. My car has a custom CF shroud -- my first lost-foam composite piece.

Save yourself the headache and call Griffin Thermal (Radiators) and have them build you a radiator and shroud. They can also sell you the correct fans if needed. Good quality at a very good price.

It's money well spent.

Save yourself the headache and call Griffin Thermal (Radiators) and have them build you a radiator and shroud. They can also sell you the correct fans if needed. Good quality at a very good price.

It's money well spent.

The SLC kits come with an SLC-specific radiator as part of the kit, unlike the GTM, so there is no need to source another one.

The stock radiator is also used in the 01 race car, which is running about 670 HP this year- with no overheating issues- so there is adequate capacity.

For the SLC builder, the topic is if and how to build a shroud. I believe in them, and wasn't happy with any of the aluminum ones I saw as they all seemed to block off too much of the core. My shroud uncovers the entire core, and is well-sealed, but only allows air out through the fans. If necessary, I'll add a few flaps later (as in the early Sciroccos).

I see you are just about done on the GTM- can you share the build and driving experience?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
FYI...We dont run any kind of shroud on the race car either....

Stage 7 just had his car on the dyno for 4 hours with no cooling issues whatsoever and he had NO airflow

Last edited:
Cooling in the SL-C is so much better than in the GTM. In all driving conditions including idling in the garage after coming off the highway, coolant temps stayed at or below 200. I don't have any type of shroud on my SL-C either.
It's so much cooler in the cockpit also with no heat coming out of the center tunnel, from the front or from the firewall.

Steve

Supporter
That's a huge difference from the Nobles as well. My friends M400 is hotter than hell on the inside even with (what passes for) the AC on.

I did not pay (yet), but in discussing with Fran, he said 1/2 upfront, 1/2 at delivery.
am curious what others have worked out, too.

Doug

The usual seems to be 50% up front and remainder at delivery. You may add some options after the first deposit so it's left open for you until the end.

Right guys...it's 50% of the kit up front, with the rest due at delivery.

* An important note...you pay for 100% of all options up front *

I paid with a check in person when I went to Detroit.

Right guys...it's 50% of the kit up front, with the rest due at delivery.

* An important note...you pay for 100% of all options up front *

I paid with a check in person when I went to Detroit.

what's the estimated delivery time once the down payment is received?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The guys are correct its 50/50 and options in full.....

Standard delivery is 16 weeks....any changes or custom needs a little longer.....

As Yos and Tim will attest, as they have been involved in the emails , sometimes suppliers slow things down but we try to keep our customers in the loop and share their/our pain.

Back