To scoop or not?

I'm at the point on my Lotus remodel that I need to decide. Do I put the small scoop in the drivers side? Or fill in the one on the other side? I don't like just buting in things like scoops just to look "cool". They have to be functional & have a reason for being there. The type 47 & 62 had small NACA scoops on the "wings" behind the door. I'm not possitive but I think they were for brake ducts. I had thought after looking at the Chevron 16 which has small vents on the inside of the wings. That it might be a good idea to seal the underside of the wings. Have the scoops & a screened vent on the inside that would vent the air out. Then put an adjustable "iris" type vent in the rear firewall. To help with flow through ventillation in the small cabin area. The air flow from the scoop & out the vent would work as a venturi & draw the air form the cabin area. So what do you think?
Types 62 & 47 on the track:
LOTUS82-08.jpg

Mine drivers side:
P6050006.jpg

Mine passenger side:
n_a8.jpg

Mike S.

Thanks Fred
That is pretty much what I thought too. But the type 62 did have both & like I said. Either I put it in on the drivers side. Or I patch over where the one I already put in on the passenger side LOL I have the mold for it & another one made. But heck I still have to cut off & redo the lower scoop to the new incarnation. I like the B-16 type scoop that I've come up with now. Better than the smaller teardrop one I did before.I do like a clean look.

I just saw this video were they opened the rear part and from say 30sec you can have a look at the engine and also the brake duct hoses...they seem to come from naca ducts? from the floor...

Also you see a little cooler radiator? on the left at height of one of the 2 air-ducts above the wings...

so they are (I guess) not for brake cooling but for other cooling/air? anyway interesting video>>

LOTUS 62 FUJI2010 - YouTube

Back