Keeping it Lite

I just ordered my SL-C planning track car build. I'd like to keep it as lightweight as possible and select the correct options now.

1. Brakes. Planning stock brakes but would like to use 2 piece floating rotors as that would save about 5-9lb/corner.
Two-piece rotor (Open Slot) - CAMARO SS FRONT 10-11

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and exactly what rotors used.

2. Battery. I saved 20lbs of weight on my current track car (C6Z06) by using and inexpensive AGM battery. A lithium battery seems workable for about $400. and only 2lb. Braille Auto ML7-HPS Braille 12 Volt Micro-Lite Lithium Racing Battery

3. Wheels. I don't see much savings here as the CCWs are relatively light and strong and round. Some Z06 weights for comparison.
Z06 OEM and Aftermarket Parts Weight List - Corvette Forum

4. Steering column and rack. No Data but probably not much savings.

5. Engine selection. I like the LS3, 7, 9. I've read that the LS-9 is 72lbs heavier which seems unlikely but if true would be a deal breaker.

6. Lexan windshield. No data.

Other Ideas?

Mark

Good morning Mark and welcome to the club. You are making some good choices already, did you order the track version of the car or are you setting up the street version for track? I would think there are savings to be had when considering which gearbox...me thinks the Porsche would be lightest, no? The Ricardo which is the strongest is a bit porky (strong like bull) :)

Like you I would have put two piece brake rotors at the top of the list.

A friend here in Tucson sells titanium bolts and nuts for ZO6 applications. With the bolts and nuts along with battery and other parts he has his ZO6 into the mid 2900lb range. I kid him about losing another 10bs to 15lbs by losing his waist bulge.

Welcome Mark!

Your plan looks sound. You might save a little weight by going with aluminum cooling tubes over the stainless parts. If so, I have a tubing bead tool you can borrow.

Good to see another SLC in Texas! Got your tickets yet for F1 @COTA? We will be in GS 12....

I love the Al cooling tube idea. May try that. I've got a G96.50 @175lb with OS Giken.
Don't really know the difference between race and street version but I'm doing the stock suspension and brakes. I mostly run at Harris Hill and it's really wavy requiring soft spring rate and shocks and lots of travel.

I don't have F1 tickets but I'm close to the track and have 4 extra bedrooms (My wife told me not to say that).

Mark

Welcome to the SL-C owners, its an experience like no other. I have always looked at weight but the thing to consider is HP and torque, which can overcome weight problems. Good luck with the build and hope you complete it as quickly as possible without upsetting the wife for spending too much time in the shop

(If it's still offered) There is a track version that features a more extensive roll/cage, a simple shaft steering column (not the OEM type in the street car) I think maybe the plexiglass windshield too. At one point there was a fuel cell included as part of the track car version. A look on the Superlite website might give updated info.

Empty bedrooms near the USGP....hhhmmmmm maybe I have a new best friend ...... HAHA...just joking :)

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Wait, did someone say SL-C in Austin? :D

My daughter lives in Austin, so I spend a lot of time in Austin...I might be interested in visiting, too!

Cheers!

Doug

Well the ls9 is a smaller engine. But it might be heavier because of the super charger. Is the intercooler part of the weight. But to get a ls3 or ls7 to hit 640hp. You will have to add weight to the motors. In forum of a super charger or turbo. So in reality they will be the same weight.

Other Ideas?
I'd start with the bodywork. From all accounts, it's very well made, so I suspect that you could save weight (as a special order) there without sacrificing any reliability, as you might with mechanical parts.

However, saving weight becomes a question of diminishing returns quite quickly on this type of car. Personally, I'd start by putting money into making myself a better driver (and losing body weight, again, personally) before going too far in reducing the weight of an already reasonably light car.

Roger

Well the ls9 is a smaller engine. But it might be heavier because of the super charger. Is the intercooler part of the weight. But to get a ls3 or ls7 to hit 640hp. You will have to add weight to the motors. In forum of a super charger or turbo. So in reality they will be the same weight.

The LS9 is the same size as an LS2/3/6/7/A, just with a supercharger and an intercooler, hence the additional 70lbs.

1. Brakes. Planning stock brakes but would like to use 2 piece floating rotors as that would save about 5-9lb/corner.

I would think floating rotors would only save you at most 1lbs/corner, or a total of 4lbs for the whole car.

If you want to save any significant weight in the braking system, you'll need a composite/ceramic rotor. A ceramic rotor will save ~10lbs per corner, or 40lbs total. They are available, but not cheap: Porsche Ceramic Brake Conversion Kit - Carrera S:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

I'll tell you to add weight... in the form of optional door bars. For a track car, this should be an automatic decision.

I have always looked at weight but the thing to consider is HP and torque, which can overcome weight problems.

Reducing weight is the one thing that helps with every performance aspect of the car: acceleration, deceleration and cornering. For a light car like the SLC, I would guess that a 10hp gain would yield the same acceleration benefits as reducing ~35lbs. But the 35lb reduction would overall be a faster car because of increase braking and cornering.

I would think floating rotors would only save you at most 1lbs/corner, or a total of 4lbs for the whole car.

If you want to save any significant weight in the braking system, you'll need a composite/ceramic rotor. A ceramic rotor will save ~10lbs per corner, or 40lbs total. They are available, but not cheap: Porsche Ceramic Brake Conversion Kit - Carrera S:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

Hey they are on sale! For $14,900!!! OMG. They are awesome looking, but that's some serious coin.

Edit- that actually looks like a deal compared to these- more expensive for just rotors!
http://www.speedforsale.com/nissang...carbon-ceramic-brake-kit-p-1242.html?cPath=32

A Wankel engine, or better yet, a turbocompounded 2-rotor Wankel engine will save you a lot of weight, as well as give you better fuel consumption. It is a time-tested, reliable solution.

Turbo

Bassanio et Portia :)

Back