Need help to id this 70's race car

I purchased this race car a few years back but I have no idea of what kind of car it is. It has a Porsche 962 tail section, 302/350 Chevy small block with 4x48mm ida webers, hewland dg300 transmission and a few other performance parts. The wheelbase is 96 inchs and you can see in the pictures the rest of the details. I feel that is was some kind of lola race car converted to another race car but it was professionally built but never finished. I have a feeling it was built sometime in the 70's and continued through the 80's. Hope someone can help me with this.

1584120022_large.jpg

1584120110_large.jpg

74074745.jpg

74756931.jpg

74759612.jpg

74756920.jpg

74756923.jpg

It might have been designed for the second can-am series which ran from '77-'86; they did run 5 liter small blocks in that series.

The winning cars in that series were Lola Formula 5000 cars converted to a closed wheel configuration; but there were teams that did build and enter more traditional layouts like this.

I'm no authority on can-am or its cars, but I would look though the records to find what was run in that series.

March and Chevron had cars that looked like this.

Last edited:
It looks.like.it could be the case that thye started converting the car but never finished. It looks like a 60's 70's lola converted to.race in the 80's can am

It looks.like.it could be the case that thye started converting the car but never finished. It looks like a 60's 70's lola converted to.race in the 80's can am

From what I understand, the converted Lola's were all ex-formula cars that just had sport car bodywork - they maintained their center seating position.
I guess it could have been a conversion from another series, maybe IMSA?

but, if you look at this picture, the nameless car in the background looks similar to your car.
http://www.oldracingcars.com/Images/snyder/Prophet78-Follmer-RA1978-500x281.jpg

you can use this site so look at all the entries into the second can-am series and maybe find a similar car.
The Single-Seat Can-Am (1977-1986) « OldRacingCars.com

I have no idea. But an unknown car with no log book an also being incomplete - don't get your hopes up.

Looks like it would be a lot of fun if you get it up and running.

I purchased the car from a exotic car dealership 10 years ago for a steal. They just wanted to get rid of the car and they told me it was left outdoors for years. Engine was flooded with water and had to be rebuilt. Slowly ive been restoring it and just wanted to finally know what it was. Bi know its worth over 10,000 even without a log book or records. Anyone that would try to build a car like this would spend a mint.

I purchased the car from a exotic car dealership 10 years ago for a steal. They just wanted to get rid of the car and they told me it was left outdoors for years. Engine was flooded with water and had to be rebuilt. Slowly ive been restoring it and just wanted to finally know what it was. Bi know its worth over 10,000 even without a log book or records. Anyone that would try to build a car like this would spend a mint.

That transmission alone is worth over 10k... I don't know what you spent on the car, but it sounds like you got a great deal.

I do see some stickers/logos on the rear bodywork, did the car come with those or are those new? Those might help identify the car.

Last edited:
The tail section is a real piece from Team Nova porshe 962 #27. The wing is carbon fiber and the rest is fiberglass. That tail section is what has made me scratch my head about this car. Its the same shape and size as a 962 and it has a piece from a very well know race car

Back