Greetinga from Atlanta

Hi, all. I have been a lurker for a while, planning my next project - an all weather street thriller with AC. I am a retired programmer and built a Shell Valley Cobra many years ago. FFR was on their 3rd car when I started. I like autocross and track days, with an occasional drag race day. I also worked on the DIY-EFI project. I am handicapped and I need an automatic transmission, so I was considering a FFR Daytona until I saw the SLC on Gears. After talking with Fran, I keep oscillating between the GT-40 and SLC. The GT-40 was always one of my favorite cars, along with the Thunderbolt and Cobras. Finding an automatic trans-axle was impossible until recently. Looking at the ZF 5HP24 and 6HP26 from various Audi, it now seems reasonable. The transmissions are now all computer controlled, so that will require reprogramming. (I know I will have to convert it from AWD to FWD, but that is relatively easy). Then I thought about using an Audi engine as well. The 2003 twin turbo 4.2L RS6 @ 450 HP seems like a good choice. Then there is the late model S8 with the 5.2L V10. Both are very small packages and the axle center-line seems closer the the engine than most trans-axles. Those would require more programming for the engine computer, which might be a lot of trouble. Now, questions for the group.
1: Anyone with experience tuning Audi engine and transmission computers, please contact me. All of the non-engine related programming needs to be disabled, VATs, etc. What is required to put an Audi V8 in a kit car? If anyone can dump the code to a file, I can disassemble it, make mods, and recompile it. Future versions probably need to be OBD2 compliant. (I can get an exemption).
2: Anyone know where I can get an Audi ZF to LS3 crate motor adapter? I think it might be easier to adapt the Audi transmission computer to the eRod computer than reprogramming the Audi engine computer. I don't want to re-invent the wheel if anyone has already done it. Building an adapter is not out of the question.
3: Anyone interested in a kit for converting a ZF trans-axle (manual or automatic) from AWD to FWD for your GT-40s, etc. (The same one they use in the R8). I may start a small company to supplement my retirement. The new ZFs are small and light (and cheap) and will handle serious HP as long as you don't try for maximum launch in low gear. IMHO, the transmission is stronger than the differential. Please advise.
Fran, Thanks for the phone conversations!
All, thanks in advance for your assistance.
Tom Sharpe

Re: Greetings from Atlanta

Beware of programmers wielding wrenches! :laugh: (I can say that because I used to be a programmer...)

If you can actually get the automatics to work, I imagine there would be some interest by others, as there are really no practical automatic options for the SLC (or the GTM, or the Ultima, or for most GT40s, for that matter).

I think one reason these conversions haven't been done is that the complexity of reprogramming a modern automatic is beyond most people. In order to do that, you need to not only understand the architecture of the automatic, and it's controller, sensors, etc., but also have an understanding of how and when to shift, etc- all of which comes in part from the attached engine.

In other words, unlike a manual transmission that the operator has to shift in response to engine and load conditions, the automatic needs RPM, load, speed, and other information- and an understanding of the engine dynamics of the specific engine driving the transmission- in order to operate correctly.

In some ways, programming an automatic to do everything you probably want it to (smooth shifts under light load, hard under WOT, always being in the right gear, not hunting, etc..) is possibly as complex as coming up with a new engine map.

That, and the complexity of sensors, seems to me why there will likely never be a generic solution to the automatic problem in these cars.

You didn't specify what your handicap was exactly, but is it possible that one of the manual-to-auto adapters like Mastershift (probably not a good example) or others might solve the specific problem? I know there are racers that use hand controls for clutch and shifters, so there is an already-trodden path to consider.

Good luck and welcome to the SLC!

PS: I guess you know that the new "Franillac" LMP car can use the Corvette automatic? That's a pure race car, and unsuitable for the street, though.

For the 5HP24, there is a wiring diagram and pin assignments for the TCU are on the web. I need to find one for the 6HP26. All that is really needed is the engine RPM signal, TPS, and shifter wires as many inputs are inside the tranny. The console shifter, paddles and dash display would be required. Ford uses a version of the ZF 6HP26 under license - the newer 6R60 & 80. Baumann/US Shift will soon have a stand alone controller for those. It should not be too hard to see if they are electronic twins. I also read somewhere the control strategy for each solenoid. If I could get the machine code for the TCU, I can reverse engineer the program, then make any required enhancements. The logic is already there. I don't want to reinvent it. Removing extras like traction control or VATs is much easier than creating it. As far as handicaps go, I don't have enough feet for three pedals. I considered a hydraulic powered clutch - like the old VW auto-stick shift - using power steering pressure and a home made ECU - simple, all shifts are quick and low gear gets a slower release. Not pretty, but it could work. I would rather use paddles......... When autocrossing, I need to keep both hands on the steering wheel...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
As far as handicaps go, I don't have enough feet for three pedals...

Welcome, Tom.

One of our members will probably be very interested in your efforts, he has an old Lola (I think) and cannot operate either the throttle, clutch or brakes without any feet. A simple hand brake/throttle is not a problem, but getting that clutch to work is. Perhaps some of your efforts might be of some assistance to him. I wondered about a steering wheel mounted device like a road bicycle handbrake, but obviously that requires it be in the right position at all times and if the wheel is being turned it eliminates that option.

Will keep an eye on your successes....good luck with the automatic trans.

As for adaptors, try PM'ing forum member Flatchat (real name Chris). He is in Australia, but we all sorta think of him as the go-to guy for adaptors, he has designed quite a few. He may be able to keep you from having to go to all that work re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.

Cheers!

Doug

Hi Tom welcome to the SL-C forum, I live in Buford, and have been the only one in Georgia with a SL-C, so I see I might have company soon,sounds good. Good luck with it if you decide to get it. I raced against a guy with one foot and he was not handicapped when in his car by no means,he was hard to beat. I hope you will overcome the challenge and get it worked out. I do know an AUDI mechanic and where he works I am not sure how much he could help with the tuning but he has been a mechanic on Audi's for a long time

Tom, A couple of choices for adapters:

RCR can make them if they have your engine and gearbox, with your order. Or,

You may try giving Kennedy Engineering a shout.
Home

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS
38822 17th Street East
Palmdale, California, 93550
(661) 272–1147
FAX (661) 272-1575

Bill Waters

Lifetime Supporter
Bob, Tom; greetings from Carrollton, Ga. Looks like there may be three of us soon! Tom, will follow your automatic adventures with interest.

Bill

You might want to call these guys as they have a good auto controller that might be able to do everythinng you need with your application. PCS - Powertrain Control Solutions - Aftermarket Performance

Also, maybe consider a clutch lever on or around the steering wheel for the clutch only. As long as you rev match a clutch is really not all that needed and comes pretty natural after a while, us old bike guys have it in our blood, but can be learned. Maybe an electronic lever that accuates an air system. There have got to be a way to make something that is progress then you can keep the shifting feeling and connection with the car.

Maybe a seq box, big money, but you do not have to use the clutch as much as far as I know.

BTW-SLC all the way.

DIY-EFI!!!

Wow that takes me back, I've got folders full of their fabrication and ECU guides! I loved their dig at one of the main problems of aftermarket ECu's at the time: "....having to send it back to Australia for repair"! I even made an EFI manifold for a 12a Rotary with their help!

How about a 4.5l TT Porsche motor from the Cayenne? They are relatively cheap nowadays, low mileage and plentiful...

Back