Side ported exhaust systems

Hello,
Does anyone have any pic's and info on a side ported exhaust system,
mufflers used, loudness etc... I am looking for something not to restrictive and reasonably quiet. I will be using the stock LS7 exshaust manifolds.
Thanks,
Grant

Grant, if you wish reasonably quiet you'll have to have a rear terminus. No room for
anything other than a race (very short) muffler or a resonator for side exhaust.
Have a peek at Dean's build thread and you'll see.

Thanks guys, I have seen Dean's exhaust it would be a killer on the old ears. I was hoping for something with a actual muffler lol. Fran's Orange street car is side ported any one know what he is using for mufflers? and is it loud ? I have some plans that should work, I was just hoping for a proven system. The pro series, HP2 or dbx Laminar flow mufflers, by Flowmaster all should work well. They all show having good flow, quiet or semi quiet and low exterior heat. I just don't know what their definition of quiet is? has anyone used the fore mentioned mufflers? or have heard them on a V8 ?

Grant, I believe that Cam has flowmasters on his car, with cats. Pretty loud from
what I understand. Perhaps Cam could chime in. There should be a video on youtube.

There aren't any side-exit cars that are quiet, as far as I know. As Jack said, there are packaging problems in terms of muffler length, etc.

One possible solution (?) might be to use a larger suitcase-style muffler with an inlet just off the j-pipe, with an outlet dropping down to where they traditionally exit. But that would be some complicated piping, and you'd have to mock it up to see if it would fit. And then you wouldn't know if it would meet your idea of "quiet" until you drove it...

Using a rear exit allows more space to fit cats and mufflers, and possibly even to connect them up as in an H-pipe or X-pipe, to improve the tone.

I have photos of the orange mule's exhaust, but this site won't let me upload them for some reason?

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Early on I was playing with a side exit system in which I used a header that would be pretty close to a stock manifold in layout. If you run the exhaust pipe from the manifold exit, straight outboard through the chassis , turn it forward 90 degrees as soon as you clear the chassis tubing, then make a 180 and come back towards the rear you will have quite a bit of length to put a fairly large muffler in the aft side pod in front the tire. The exit can be to the rear or through another 90 degrees out the side. If you went out the back from there another smaller muffler could be added up along side the shock.

I didn't do it this way because of all the work and heat in the side pod but it can be done with a pretty big flowmaster. I think I mocked up one of the super 50's (5"X10"X17") in cardboard and got it to fit. make some cardboard pieces and see what you come up with.

There is enough room to make a quite system, just don't get stuck on straight through.

Here's a pretty standard out the back setup that I just finished (one side)

Attachments

• HPIM1522.jpg
    HPIM1522.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 446
Thanks Howard,
Thats what I have done too, I've mocked up a few mufflers out of cardboard and yes you can get a fairly large muffler in there, I would have thought a side exit would be a cooler running system since it is shorter and your not running pipe through the full length of the engine compartment. I could see headers putting out a lot more heat then the LS7 manifolds. I am surprised more people are not using them they are suppost to flow very well and work well for keeping the heat down?

So my next question is why are so many guys choosing headers?

Grant,

I believe most are using the LS7 exhaust...fewer using headers. Roberto is building mine and ceramic coating them for some heat abatement.

My belief that headers of the proper length and diameter and proper collector length and diameter might make an albeit slight improvement in HP over the already very good LS7s. The ceramic coating was at least empirically shown to reduce engine bay temps in my Viper. Of course, this remains to be seen.....:thumbsup:

My belief that headers of the proper length and diameter and proper collector length and diameter might make an albeit slight improvement in HP over the already very good LS7s. The ceramic coating was at least empirically shown to reduce engine bay temps in my Viper. Of course, this remains to be seen.....:thumbsup:

Ceramic coating works wonders - I can drive my 65 cobra for 1/2hr, warm oil and water temps, stop it, get out, and touch my sidepipes w/o burning myself.

I can't believe anybody would use anything but ceramic coating - I was by some stainless steel pipes once and OMFG, you could feel the heat pouring off of them from 10ft away

There aren't any side-exit cars that are quiet, as far as I know. As Jack said, there are packaging problems in terms of muffler length, etc.

One possible solution (?) might be to use a larger suitcase-style muffler with an inlet just off the j-pipe, with an outlet dropping down to where they traditionally exit. But that would be some complicated piping, and you'd have to mock it up to see if it would fit. And then you wouldn't know if it would meet your idea of "quiet" until you drove it...

Using a rear exit allows more space to fit cats and mufflers, and possibly even to connect them up as in an H-pipe or X-pipe, to improve the tone.

Do cats contribute to noise reduction to a meaningful extent? We're planning on going without cats (but with mufflers).

Do cats contribute to noise reduction to a meaningful extent? We're planning on going without cats (but with mufflers).

Yes, most of them have a noticeable affect, probably due to their construction (the cell matrix is probably an efficient muffler, in addition to it's catalyzing effect).

Ceramic exhaust (inside and out), lowers under hood temps and increases turbo boost and responsiveness. Ceramic coated combustion chambers increase combustion speed and reduce heat load on the water and oil but will decrease top ring gaps. Coatings on the oil pump innards will reduce oil temps by 20-30 degrees with a 7 qt. pan. Friction coatings all reduce wear and heat and increase horsepower. I have a radical 406 SBC that has not overheated since everything was coated. I put coatings on the crank, piston pins, piston skirts and heads, valve heads, combustion chambers and exhaust ports, cam, lifters, valve springs, oil pump, and the complete exhaust system. It has even done a 1 hr parade @ 95 degrees. Water wetter works also. Unfortunately, my side exhaust will still burn your leg, but the paint has not discolored in 15 years.

Back