Six Rotor Wankel for you Rotards

Re: Six Rotor for you Rotards

They've designed, engineered, built, and fired up a completely one-off engine before your builder has even assembled yours from readily available parts :laugh:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry... Not this cat's bowl of milk... Too obnoxious sounding...

In theory brilliant. In reality......
When It works, look the f&$k out! These engines power to weight are awesome. Just a matter of getting the engineering right, although I like the traditional dirty V8.

double you to 12 rotors for offshore power boat racing, six down each side

12 rotor rotary engine sevenstock 14 2011 - YouTube

12 Rotor Engine Running - YouTube
That's even older news and it's actually 3 banks of 4-rotors ;) Watched that thing develop for years. He also has a 6-rotor version on paper.
Seen it in person and talked extensively with the designer/builder. Both were very impressive. Latest news with it....
12ROTOR IN CAR CONFIRMED! | Performance Garage
Insane Engine: A 12-Rotor – Twin-Turbo – 5,000 Plus Horsepower Monster | | BangShift.comBangShift.com

The machining of the 12-rotor engine created many new challenges and there were extensive write ups in the CNC community about it. I'm sure Fran would appreciate it.

Ron Earp

Admin
960ci at 830 lbs and 50 lbs of boot for 5000hp.

I'm not sure that can't be equaled on all points with a piston engine. That's about 5 lb per cubic inch. But, at 50 psi of boost we're almost at four times atmospheric which as a simplistic calculation doubles horsepower for each atmosphere of boost.

What is the largest displacement one can get out of the Merlin or other series of aftermarket aluminum blocks? If something could be built in the same cubic inch range it seems like it'd be possible to produce a 5000hp engine that would be simpler and possibly even a bit lighter.

Of course it wouldn't have twelve Doritos and sound horrible, but some folks view those as positive attributes.

I'm not sure that can't be equaled on all points with a piston engine.
Piston engines have had insane amounts of R&D thrown at them. The basic design is, for me, just wrong. When you have to start arranging your cylinders (or adding balancer shafts) to cancel-out (some of) the harmonics produced by their non-sinusoidal motion, you know that something is wrong with the design.

The Wankel is (IMO) a more elegant design, but has suffered from a (relative) lack of R&D.

Pragmatically though, I'd still go with the piston engine for reliability and value for money.

Back