SouthernGT hits 190mph

Glenn M

Supporter
I recieved an invite to the Jaguar speedtrials at RAF Woodbridge last weekend, Basically it's a 'see how fast it goes' event on a two mile runway with a laser speed trap at the end.

Had a great time and got a recorded 188mph on my penultimate run which I was really chuffed with. On the last run I actually hit the rev limiter in top which is 192mph but as I hit it about 100 yards from the laser I 'only' got 184mph officially. All in all a really fun day. I was chasing an XK220 all day which managed 197mph.

Here are a couple of videos;

the first just warming up......

Ford GT40 Exhaust sound - YouTube

and this one was of the quickest run. I love the way they left it recording even though the car is long gone but you can still hear it for ages. In the car the whole run seems to be over in seconds!.......

GT40 at Jaguar speed trials. 188mph - YouTube

It was certainly a buzz!!

Glenn

Attachments

• Paddock.jpg
    Paddock.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Queuing to go.jpg
    Queuing to go.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 509
  • Returning from run.jpg
    Returning from run.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 542

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Couple questions?

(1) What powers your '40?

(2) Do you have/is a roll cage required at that venue?

Ron Earp

Admin
Awesome Glenn! For those that have not seen Glenn's car up close it is fabulous. I had a chance to look it over a month or so ago and it is an impressive machine. Nice job!

Malcolm

Supporter
Well done Glenn, that is a brilliant result. Not many can say they hit the rev limiter in top! So how you going to reach 200 mph?

Glenn M

Supporter
Thanks Ron, appreciate that.

Larry, 450bhp and yes it has a full cage (it's built in on the SouthernGT) although it wasn't obligatory for this event.

Not sure Malcolm, more revs I suppose but that will mean changing the hydraulic lifters for solid. Maybe one day but I'm happy with the engine at the moment. Something else I was really pleased with were the brakes. Absolutely no drama whatsoever stopping from that speed in the fairly limited distance after the laser.

Last edited:
Congratualtions Glenn - well done.:thumbsup:

My previous best is beaten as I'd had 183.2 a few years back and whilst you say 2 miles, in reality you only get about 1.3 to accelerate and so even more impressive really.

Glad you got your car sorted too - WELL DONE!!

PS - I'll second Ron's comments re Glenn's car. Has to be the best engineered 40 I have EVER seen. A true testament to his dedication to form and function...

Glen, Very nice...very nice indeed. I lived in Ipswich for many years but moved away before the US base at Woodbridge closed. Nice to see they've put it to good use! BTW, what transaxle's in your car and I will add to Randy's comments.....it sounds great and certainly looks the part.

CONGRATULATIONS GLENN !! We at Eight Stack Injection are very proud to be part of your fabulous car. The combination of Mike Huddart at Huddart Engines and Mick Sollis of Southern GT is a potent duo. Your car not only goes fast but looks absolutely stunning in the Gulf colors. Best wishes to you and your future endeavors with the car.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Well done Glen

Will you repeat that in front of the wings and Wheelscrowd in a few weeks?
Or is that runway a bit shorter?

From memory you are on 15 inch Avons - what brake system do you run?

cheers
Ian

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Larry, 450bhp and yes it has a full cage (it's built in on the SouthernGT) although it wasn't obligatory for this event.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

The "optional" cage situation really surprises me given the speeds. For instance, at the Texas Mile a cage is manditory for a '40. ('Not required for a Ford GT though since, in effect, the factory already equipped it with one.)

Glenn M

Supporter
Thanks for your comments guys.

Ian - not sure how long Dunsfold is but you're right in that I'm running the 15" Avons, also the brakes are AP all round.

Jimmy & Dave - the transaxle is a ZFQ, brilliant imho.

Glenn

Glenn,
You've been told it is FFABULOUS so I won't.

Final drive ratio??? Do you know the 5th ratio?

It is wonderful, hope your head doesn't get toooooo big!hahahahahahaha

Thanks for the noise.

Fantastic Glenn. Really good...congratulations.

How did the front end feel at 180+? Pretty solid or getting light? Do you have winglets or any kind of front end aero aids?

Keep up the good work!

Glenn M

Supporter
David, why do you think I've got an extra large Gurney bubble? !!

The final drive ratio is 3.75 and fifth is 0.742.

Glenn

Glenn M

Supporter
Cliff, it felt pretty good even at that speed and not light or twitchy at all, although I wouldn't want to have to make a sudden change of direction - that might be scary!
If you look at the pictures I put up in the first post you'll see the winglets I run.

Glenn

Thanks! :thumbsup:

The "optional" cage situation really surprises me given the speeds. For instance, at the Texas Mile a cage is manditory for a '40. ('Not required for a Ford GT though since, in effect, the factory already equipped it with one.)

The Texas Mile requires them over 180 mph.

Randy

Back