Oil Cooler Size?

I just finished ordered the last items for my fuel system and oil cooling system except the cooler itself. (filter relocator, accusump, an fittings) That bill for all those an fittings, yuk. I plan to run an oil cooler for the engine and for the transmission. I want to keep it all cool and if the little bit extra saves the mega money transaxle then money well spent.

My question is, what size oil cooler are you running and will fit? I plan to put mine towards the back, like the RCR SLC race car. I am going to put twin intercoolers for the turbos in the side pod area and the turbos and pipings in that vacinty as well so it makes sense to put it back there.

My thought would be to get the 12 row and larger size as there should be room back there and it should cool better.
I see a few size and all will be 10an inlet/outlet.
12 row, 13.5x8.75x2.0
10 row, 13.5x6.5x2.0
7 row, 13.5x5x2

Also, did you run a fan on the oil cooler/s? I was thinking a little 5-8" spal type of puller/pusher should move enough air if it does not have enough without. Do you have it set to a switch or just when the car is one they are on? Maybe oil temp switch?

With the transmission cooler pump, do we just run that all the time when the engine is one or do you have that on a switch also?

Thanks for the help.
Troy

Hi Troy,
Setrab coolers has a cooler size calculator depending on your HP, but the issue will be, do you have the space? I am using two Setrab 625's they are a little smaller then I would like but I know they will fit anywhere in the sides or at the back. Right now Roush is selling them near 1/2 price great deal.

I always thought with the oil coolers, something is much better than nothing. There were quite a few times on the gt40 when the oil would cross 280 then I would switch the cooler fan on and it will come down maybe 50 degrees quickly and it was a small cooler with a fan. The fan made a big difference.

Troy I bought my coolers based on size, I figured you can not have enough cooler on a hot day. I use to have fans but took them off. The coolers are located in the side vents of the body, I built duct to bring the air from the side ducts through the cooler. I have some experience with air movement, and air will take the least path of resistance, if the air is not forced to go through the coolers it will just go around them. The fans will accomplish the same thing but I was told that at high mph the fans will inhibit the air going through instead of helping it, I don't know about that but my temperatures run just fine.The only drawback about locating the coolers in the back of the motor compartment is the air temperatures are already 160 plus so it will not cool as well as fresh air. But you need coolers and you put them where they will fit, and the back is better than not at all.

I am going twin turbo so the oil cooler is sure needed to keep it all nice. Now I need to mount my intercoolers in the side pods so the oil coolers will go in the back with some fans and shrouds. I am debating on using two 25 row oil coolers and put both in for the engine oil and have one smaller one for the transaxle that I can fit. The oil there should not get as hot and I am thinking a smaller cooler there might be just fine. We will see how it all fits when the car comes. I have all the parts now for the oil system except the coolers so that can wait, a bit.
Troy

Hello on the Ricardo Transaxle, the outlet hose to cooler , If I remember right it is the rear one, can anyone confirm this for sure?
Thanks,
Grant

When routing the transaxle cooler lines, warm oil goes in from the bottom, cold out goes out from the top of the cooler. (this is for best performance of the cooler). Also, in terms of the Ricardo transaxle, the port closest to the front of the car is the return. The port toward the rear is the "out".

Back