For all those in Europe read up!

Any applications in there for vehicles of which there never has been a 'standard' specification?

This Euro lot really need to get a grip. They haven't been able to manage the Euro Zone. What qualifies any of them to manage this arena any better?

Broder-line oppression.

This is dreadfull.
We have a small industry and lots of history in customising and modifying cars. There must be thousands upon thousands out there. Done properly, nothing wrong with it at all.
I can't believe our respective governments allow us to be bullied like this.

Nothing good comes out of Brussels except maybe the beer.

Martin

Keith

And even that is cloudy....

I may be wrong here, but I always thought that Germany has been thus for over 25 years now in that it is unlawful to "alter" a car from standard, even to the point of custom wheels etc.

We all thought that would scupper us in the 'modified street car' game in the late '80's here in the UK, but it never happened.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
We need to organise a wholesale visit to Brussels, to taste the beer of course...and gridlock them, as we cant drink and drive, i suggest double and triple parking, that should sort out these fat bastard eurocrats and the limousines we pay for...give them a taste of their own medicine.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
We need to organise a wholesale visit to Brussels, to taste the beer of course...and gridlock them, as we cant drink and drive, i suggest double and triple parking, that should sort out these fat bastard eurocrats and the limousines we pay for...give them a taste of their own medicine.

But isn't a limo a modified vehicle made by adding an extra few inches to it's length.

If so they are also about to outlaw their own transport too!

Ian

From what I understand, its not outlawing alterations but forcing people who make alterations to then undergo testing. I suppose in this case it would mean IVA.

Still not good for the industry.

Quoting from the DfT document:-

The Commission proposes to introduce a definition for a roadworthiness test that components of the vehicle must comply with characteristics at the time of first registration. This may prevent most modifications to vehicles without further approval of the vehicle. (this will apply to many components and to all types of vehicle)

Having read through it, I assume this is aimed at people that cut into chassis etc? This has been muted for a while, that if people say cut intot eh bulkhead to put a bigger engine/tranny in then they are changing the structural integrity of the homologated vehicle and then changing it. At the moment, people can do that and then just keep having a MOT.

As for our community, we already have IVA. So I am assuming this does not affect us, or do other people read it differently?

I remeber similar discussions when SVA came about... yet we still manage to build cars today.

I think where it is unclear and needs definition is what is actually classed as modification. Is this a brake kit or an exhaust or even a plug-in chip, or none of these? Or is it something more major like cutting into the shell and lowering the roof, or putting on scissor doors etc?

They don't call out the definition of modifcation as far as I can see, or maybe I missed it

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok argument here
I had my car done at SVA and then DVLA took copies of a whole bunch of documents proving stuff was new to get a non Q plate.
These documents showed I had Saab front brakes on the rear including handbrake and AP calipers on the front( same as police Rover SD1 had fitted)

Now should I decide to follow suit of those who have gone before and fit willwoods all round or AP or Brembo to improve the braking then I would be outside the law and need to have the whole car retested to IVA standards.

So they will then check the whole car checked, failed, have to jump through all sorts of hoops etc.

Sorry but that does not sound correct

Ian

That all depends on your interpretation, and for that we will have to wait for the DFT to rule. I would have thought, having read a bit more about it, that your car would then need to pass the braking efficency section of the MOT for that car. You wouldn't be allowed to make the brakes worse than they are. The type of test you need is up for debate, but the whole legislation relates to MOTs not IVAs and type approvals.

From what I can understand, you can mod the car but it must then pass the environmental or safety approvals that were in force when it was approved/registered/first used. For example you couldn't pull out a nice clean 4 pot and stick in a dirty great V8. And get it passed emissions law.

Who cares what Europe says anyway, there just a load of foreigners
Brussels is the 'A' Hole of the universe
The Prophet says that the next big BIG war the west will have will be with men from the east.

The sun will be blocked out, food will run out,
Cars will burn, we will all burn in hell..

Just thought I'd cheer you all up !

Last edited:
Back