Thinking about painting my car

Well, not painting the whole thing, just the parts you can't see when the front and rear clips are on. I have some flat black trim on the car so I was thinking about painting everything hidden by front and rear panels flat black and maybe use a low texture bed liner rattle can as a base coat. My thought behind tis is that I get a lot of tire rubber and rocks under the panels thrown up there by my slicks. There are also a few places where the panels rub and unfortunately, the gel coat is bright yellow under the pretty blue paint.

Here is a picture of the car sans panels so you can kinda get an idea what I'm talking about.
IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

Here is the car with the skin on.

IMG_0462-1.jpg

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
What about using Satin black vinyl....it will hold up better than paint and is easy to replace.

FYI..your third picture is not showing up...

Last edited:
I'm not sure I could get the vinyl to lay down in the cracks. The vinyl would surely be the best way to go for durability. I was just out looking at the car and was thinking about what to do this weekend. The paint would scratch but it would be easy to touch up. I think what I have on the car now is flat black. Do you remember?

I think that is a good idea. The plastidip stuff peels off if it doesn't work. I think I am going get a few cans of that and work on this this weekend. Is that stuff pretty durable? How well does it hold up against scratches?

Troy,

I just watched a few videos on the stretch chrome product. Wow! That stuff is cool! I will likely try that later this year. It looks like the Vodafone Formula cars. The 02 car would look awesome in chrome! I just need to find a place that I could trust to do it with some level of professionalism.

Do you think that the PlastiDip would be strong enough for wheel wells? I was going to use something like Rhino Liner.

No, I don't think so. I have used the dupli-color bedliner spray from o'Rielly's with much success. It isn't very heavy and it is really tough stuff when it cures out. I have it on my Jeep bummpers and rock rails. It really takes a beating.

Do you get fading from the elements?

If it has worked really well for you, why not use it for your current application?

Yes you will. I usually just spray over everything with a satin black to freshen it up as needed but my Jeep is out on the parking lot everyday in the weather. I have hit trees and rubbed rocks and the finish is still pretty good.

Here is a pic of my Mustang with the rubber coating. That was taken about a year after I did it so there are no major scratches from rocks or debris. I have also noticed no fading at all. I used it on the chrome grill as well because I could take it off if it didnt work out. Its durable and you could use it in wheel wells just fine. If you were to drive in the rain all the time I would go with something heavier though.

Attachments

• pony.JPG
    pony.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 280
I was just thinking of the wheel wells and buildup of corrosive crud that gets lifted when it rains. Nothing happens to the stuff with just water. I don't think anyone would really drive it in those conditions anyways and I'm sure the car would be wiped down promptly if you got caught in it.

Back