Muffler

I am working on collecting items for my upcoming build and have been pondering mufflers here. I thought I would just look through and get a set. Well, not me I guess, I have been pondering which muffler to get and can not decide. Price is not a huge issue, but if I can save some cash and spend it on others things then great. I am going to have a V6 twin turbos, so the turbos should help a bit with the sound and when off boost it should be a help. I do not plan to run cats. This is a street car and I do not want to get stopped by the cops, but I want a car that will sound good, but also be quiet when cruising on the highway to work. I want my cake and eat it too, but I am thinking the turbos might help and lower rpms on the highway. I want it to sound pretty nasty when at WOT, but also be tame at idle. Thoughts on which you think would be best. How is fitment? I see most use round mufflers. It will be a 3" exhaust. BTW- I love the sound of a high reving motorcycle yelp or scream and I will rev to at least 8,000.

Here are some results from Jegs and Summit.
Jegs
Dynomax 6" x16" $86
Dynomax 4" bullet x 12" $47
Dynomax 4" bullet x 18" $52
Borla XR-1 5" x 15" $137
Flowmaster outlaw 16-3/4" long $86
moroso spiral flow 4" x 12" $55
Pypes M-80 5" x 14" $53

Summit
Borla Sportsman 5"x15" $130
Summit glasspack 4"x18" $23
Summit glasspack 4"x24" $30

Burns stainless
site was down, but I heard good things

Other choices I am missing?

Thanks for the help,
Troy

Don't bother collecting beyond the basics until you have the car - I bought a lot of stuff and then found I'd outsmarted myself and had to waste my time selling it.

I'm just as much as a car enthusiast as anyone. However, I would run cats. They really don't cost you much horsepower (2-3 maybe?) esp with high flow ones, they will smooth the sound a bit and pollute a lot less, and you'll be sparing the guy behind you.

I work in Afghanistan, and there is obviously no pollution control here, and the air quality is horrible from all the vehicles, even in the summer when no one is burning anything.

I even put cats on my Nissan 240sx w/an SR20det, and yes the engine is not supposed to be on there, but I brought it to a smog station and it passed with flying colors.

I plan on putting cats on my SLC as well.

As far as mufflers I've always been a fan of Borla's. Listen to some 370z's with Borla's, they sound awesome, very exotic sounding. I have heard Bassani's also sound really good too.

Turbos will definitely bring the noise down quite a bit. I remember when I thought I was having turbo issues, so I lengthened the WGA rod to the max so the WG was open even at idle, and I will tell you the car was about twice as loud. It was almost unbearable from the inside of the car. Afterwards when I turned it back up, it was quiet(ish) again. I think the A/R and turbine size will have a little bit of an effect on the sound, but that should be secondary, the important thing is matching your turbo to your application.

Im with Alex on this one, don't get to far ahead of yourself or you will be having a garage sale soon after your done. I will have some extra parts for sale here soon too.
Cheers,

I can wait on a muffler and cats when the car comes as that stuff should not take too long. I had a Borla on my SC Lotus and it was really loud, but that was 3" with no cats or turbo to help. I can get a 3" high flow cat and put them on there also and it does make sense to do it and be a good guy. If I get a high flow cat and then smaller high flow muffler it might equal out to a bigger muffler anyway and fitment might actually be easier.

Wow!!! I thought I was going to get berated suggesting someone put on/keep cat on their car.

Yes, the 2-3HP loss is worth getting a slight noise reduction, smoother sound, and stopping the smell from behind.

Hi Troy I am using Flowmaster Hushpower mufflers they are 6" dia 18" long from what I have found out they should be quieter then most, I do not want to go deaf after 1 hr like I did in my Cobra. I am also doing side exit, the way I am configuring the mufflers I could put two in on each side if I wanted to. I am still a ways away from starting it up as need to get a few more parts from Fran but it should work well.

You guys that live in the wilds of Canada should have open pipes to scare away all the wildlife that inhabits your roadways...you know that "loud pipes save lives"....(joking)

I had the Hushpower II's on my LS6 motored "7". It's a nice piece, cool shell, and had that old school v-8 rumble-great tone. I see that Flowmaster bought Hushpower? -- Shark

Hi Troy I am using Flowmaster Hushpower mufflers they are 6" dia 18" long from what I have found out they should be quieter then most, I do not want to go deaf after 1 hr like I did in my Cobra. I am also doing side exit, the way I am configuring the mufflers I could put two in on each side if I wanted to. I am still a ways away from starting it up as need to get a few more parts from Fran but it should work well.

However, I would run cats. They really don't cost you much horsepower (2-3 maybe?) esp with high flow ones,

The LS's were designed with a cat in mind. I'd think that HP gained would be opened up on the high end.
It might compromise the HP on the low end due to backpressure loss. i guess it depends on the use of the car, but having a few more horse avaialble immediately was more important to me than railing the car out to 6600rpm to get every last pony.

The cats are nice too, so you can breath in the garage if you're idling.

Plus, i ran my ls376 w/o mufflers and it blew 1.5ft flames. i'd liek to see the flames w/o cats. BTW, you can normally find LS7 take off cats on ebay and craigslist cheap...

Howard Jones

Supporter
Wait until you have the complete engine with exaust manifolds/ headers bolted to your trans axle in the car before you buy anything else that will go in the engine room.

Then mock up things in cardboard and try them for size after that. Ignore this and you will spend a lot on unused pieces.

Patience grasshopper............

Troy I also agree that you need cats. It was a requirement for my car to be street legal. In fact I am right now working on passing the emissions test here in Georgia. As usual nothing has been easy. I had to get a non conformance waiver, got the test done and it failed. Took it to a guy to tune, the computer was locked out by Ernie ( what a great screwing) and had to buy a new computer. Put the car on the dyno and the shop blew the slave cylinder for the clutch release. We are putting in a new one today and putting in a clutch stop which I read about on the forum that I needed one. Well I am a good enough driver that I only push in the clutch for what I need but the guy in the shop decided to go to the floor with it. I am putting in a stop today. . But I had to have a cat to pass the test, I signed an affidavit to say I had them, they checked I did at the emission place and I cannot see much difference in performance. I have the 3" high flow with 3" mufflers. Not sure of the brand. I also agree do not go on a spending spree buying everything then finding out that it was not what you needed, you will have time to get it all as the assembly progresses. Save your energy for when you get it then you will be glad you did. many nights in the shop saying I will stop when I get this finished and it is later then you think many a night. Patience is a virtue I here so I also can say I have very little virtue left.

Back