G50/03 for a street RCR?

I have a line on a very inexpensive G50/03 locally and am wondering if anyone is running this in stock form on an RCR or any kit car for that matter? My eventual build will be for street the majority of the time. Its from a car that had ~100k miles and has not been rebuilt but looks to be in good condition. What would it cost to have it opened up and worked over for use in an RCR? I know it will cost ~3k just to have the 4th and 5th gears replaced with taller ones and that is more than the transmission would cost me.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have a G50/03 in my car, however have not yet driven it. I have had it beefed up with steel synchronizers and a billet side plate. Still has an open diff in it which is just fine with me.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
BTW, you will need to cut the end housing a bit if you are putting it in an RCR40 but it may it in an SLC just fine I do not know..
See my build site in my signature for some info that may help..

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
TBH Scott....if your budget is tight...just run it as it is until you have an issue....that box will be just fine on the street with an LS3...

If/when you have a shifting issue then look at rebuilding ...if you can live with the gearing...which you will have tried by that time...maybe only a refresh and some synchros will be all you need....

So in reality ..."dont fix what aint broke..."...until its broke..."

I appreciate that Fran. I have this problem of over thinking things and also trying to do things right the first time. To me doing it right is having the box reworked before the build but I will not have the money for that right away.

Is there anything that I will need to do the gearbox before it can be used other than the case mod? These are mounted forward on the Porsche so it will have to physically flipped over? I need to do some research.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Very basic mods...change the drain plug into a vent and the original vent into the drain...the box will work just fine with no other mods....other than the tail housing mod that is...

Nothing wrong with overthinking....unless it cost you unnecessary money...

Scott,

Analysis paralysis. Stick that G50 in the car, and go do some drop clutch burn outs. If she holds up then you know you've got a good box, if not, well then it was due for a rebuild anyway!

Scott,

Analysis paralysis. Stick that G50 in the car, and go do some drop clutch burn outs. If she holds up then you know you've got a good box, if not, well then it was due for a rebuild anyway!

I do hope that this was a joke right? Drop clutch burnouts will not determine the gearboxes condition, but is likely to break a gear or worse, blow up the ring and pinion. I would not recommend this approach, but I do agree that if you are on a budget then you may be able to run the gearbox as it is without having it rebuilt first.

The modification to run inverted is quite easy for you to do yourself, though, and will not take long to do before you should be able to install the gearbox and figure out where you stand. Let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC
(303) 440-8899 work

Thank you everyone for the advise, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately the guy I was supposed to but it from sold it out from under me :( to someone more local so the hunt continues. I have a line on a G64 AWD box for ~$2k but it looks like it might not fit as it is very long.

I do hope that this was a joke right? Drop clutch burnouts will not determine the gearboxes condition, but is likely to break a gear or worse, blow up the ring and pinion. I would not recommend this approach, but I do agree that if you are on a budget then you may be able to run the gearbox as it is without having it rebuilt first.

The modification to run inverted is quite easy for you to do yourself, though, and will not take long to do before you should be able to install the gearbox and figure out where you stand. Let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC
(303) 440-8899 work

Yes, I was just making a (poor) attempt at humor......

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC
(303) 440-8899 work

I've not started the motor yet with my 930 box, but I do want to note here that Erik was great to work with in his re-build of my box, as well a setting it up for inverted operation.

Back