What tools do I need?

Hi all

I am looking to order my SouthenGT in January :thumbsup:, in the mean time I would like to get together all of the sundries and tools I will need to get the build going with out to many delays.
I hoping you guys could help me compile a list of essentials tools as well as a list of things that are not so essential but are nice to have as will make the job easier?

So far I have bought:

• Compressor
  • Air cut off tool
  • Air rivet gun
  • Battery powered drill
  • Assorted drill bits
  • x50 Clecos and tool

Now I am sure there will be lots more so lets have some ideas and also links if possible as there are often many types of the same tool available some good and some bad..

Cheers

Paul

If you are going to drill holes into the panels, then I personally recommend Q cutters instead of using holesaws. It gives a far neater finish IMO

Also a Power Punch for making your rivet holes in your sheet metal. Dave Morton recommended to me and I would not go back.

CBS do them both (others are available)
Sheet Metal Hole Punches Set Of 5 - HOLEP it's a good starter kit
Power Hole Punch Set - PWRP

Rivnut tool as well has helped me, as well as a powerfile... there's load more I can list... you will need two garages :)

Cracking start, two tools I did not know existed :shy: they will be added to my shopping list...

As for the garage I am just finishing a nice big 6x6 garage so will hopefully be big enough:thumbsup:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Cable powered drill with 90degree attachment - some holes need drilled in awkward places and a battery drill will go flat pretty quick.

Black and decker power file (Or similar to be run off the compressor)
Vacuum for clean up / Swarf removal

Brake Flare tool (Can be borrowed if you are only doing 1 car)
Brake pipe bender - makes it neater than around a broomstick

Lights - lots of them so you are not working in shadow (Also cable lamp for inside car)

Build table - these cars are low enough without being on the floor (your back will thank you)

Good quality jig saw with fine betal blades for cutting aluminium sheet

Small angle grinder 4.5 inch with grind and cutting discs (make sure the siscs are in date or they explode)

Spanners etc - you can spend a lot on these or go cheaper - personally my Halford stuff works fine (but I am an accountant so not using them daily)

Search locally for a good hardware supplier for nuts bolts etc - buy in bulk to save £££££

Ian

I do already have a lot of power tools, hand tool and spanners etc, so ok there. As for the lighting I am just about to start wiring the garage so will be fitting lots of strip lighting as well as a double socket on the celing directly over my build table for lead lights etc...

I have also picked up a MIG welder cheap, no idea if I will need it or even how to use it but let's be honest this is all a big learning curve for me :shy:

With regard the build table I was planning to use my late Grandads carpentry bench and cover it in carpet to protect the chassis, this bench is bloody heavy so not exactly moveable, will this be an issue? I would rather use this than spend extra on build dollys unless I will be creating hard work for myself?

What sorts of fixings will I need? I was perhaps wrongly assuming that most fixings would be supplied by SGT with the parts ordered, and rivets etc would be in the panel fitting kit?

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Geez, with all those tools -- looks like you're embarking on a scratch build:D
Oh! and don't forget the all important beer fridge and big screen -- for, when all your Aussie mates turn up -- to help out .. like :shifty:

Most of the equipment used in the build could be hired for a day or so (if you're organised ) that way you don't end up with a shed full of stuff you'll probably never use again.

(You Pommies starting to sound like Americans ):heart:

Geez, with all those tools -- looks like you're embarking on a scratch build:D
Oh! and don't forget the all important beer fridge and big screen -- for, when all your Aussie mates turn up -- to help out .. like :shifty:

Most of the equipment used in the build could be hired for a day or so (if you're organised ) that way you don't end up with a shed full of stuff you'll probably never use again.

(You Pommies starting to sound like Americans ):heart:

Beer fridge I figured was a prerequisite
drink2.gif
therefore didn't mention it but flat screen I had not thought of, Hmmm....

Mike Pass

Supporter
There are two problems with a bench. One is that it is pretty much immoveable especially with a nearly built and very very heavy car on it. The second is one of access to the underside of the car and the ease with which you can drop it back onto the wheels.You can get a trolley jack and axle stands under easily with the car sat on frames. If the frames have wheels you can move the car sideways. This is very useful when you are fitting doors or when you need good access to the interior. You can open the door wide if you shift the car across to the other side. The GT40 doors have a big chunk of roof attached and your skull will be amazed at how many times it makes contact with them!
Cheers
Mike

There are two problems with a bench. One is that it is pretty much immoveable especially with a nearly built and very very heavy car on it. The second is one of access to the underside of the car and the ease with which you can drop it back onto the wheels.You can get a trolley jack and axle stands under easily with the car sat on frames. If the frames have wheels you can move the car sideways. This is very useful when you are fitting doors or when you need good access to the interior. You can open the door wide if you shift the car across to the other side. The GT40 doors have a big chunk of roof attached and your skull will be amazed at how many times it makes contact with them!
Cheers
Mike

Ah that's interesting, thank you, it would seem I will be purchasing a set of stands too....

Agree with Mike. Also, get one of the low entry trolley jacks. Costco do them, but you can also get them from Machine Mart etc like here: Clarke CTJ2000A 2 Tonne Aluminium Trolley Jack - Machine Mart

Mine was £80 at Costco compared to that price at MM.

The reason is that the sadlle heighton most trolley jacks are too high, as you will get the body/chassis caught on it when you are towards the end of your build. I found this out last year the night before I took my car to Mick's and had to spend 2 hours undoing stuff after I quickly dropped the jack back down and trapped it...

Paul, I may be able to help you with tools. I have lots left over from the days I thought I could actually build my car myself! The kind of things you need to build a car, but I will never need to maintain one.

Seriously, no need to call this an advertisment. If you fancy pm'ing me I will list what I have and 'you' choose what it's worth. I'm sure we can figure it out.

As it happens, I have sold the land my storage unit sits on and I have to box it all up and move it very soon anyway. Let me know.

Good choice on the SGT BTW! Mick is a top bloke of the highest order, as I am sure you already know!

Last edited:
Back