Subaru gearbox in SLC?

Just wondering if this was ever considered? They are plentiful and you can get entire gearsets for less than what Albins charges for a Porsche FD. Some of the JDM gearset ratios don’t look too bad either, especially if taller final drives are available. They do look kind of long, and there is the drive shaft sticking out the back. I have seen them take well over 500 whp too. Thoughts?

I thought about this as well. However, I believe on of the issues is the output shafts are too low, and would require really moving the engine up.

Pint taken. Especially since the output shafts are above the input in the inverted G50. I assume this was taken into account in the design.

Ok, Fran just posted some pictures of F1 cars with crazy axle angles so maybe the outputs are not too low. I wonder if there are other problems with this transmission.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Not very strong is one of the major issues...

not designed for V8 torque....not bad with a Scooby engine but even then the break...I know as I have a broken one on my shelf that came from an RCR shop WRX.

They can be used as the axles are long enough that the driveshaft angle is not too bad but they are also pretty long too...so OK with a race tail but not a street tail

Back