Jacket for shifter cables

What is a good heat resistant/abrassion resistant jacket I can use on the shifter cables where they rub against the engine and come close to the exhaust?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What is a good heat resistant/abrassion resistant jacket I can use on the shifter cables where they rub against the engine and come close to the exhaust?

For thermal protection on my plug wires I've used something like this:

Thermo-Tec : Heat Sleeves
or
http://www.thermotec.com/products/14200-spark-plug-wire-heat-shield.html

As for rubbing against the engine, I would try really hard not to allow that by tying the cable away somehow or using a stand-off of some kind. Barring that I'd be tempted to run it through an aluminum tube or something similar so the cable sees a very smooth surface.

Alex:
Take a look in McMaster/Carr, here is the link. McMaster-Carr
We use this stuff with good results, sometimes right next to exhaust, not too expensive and available in one foot increments.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Alex.

You may want to check out DEI as well. I bought their heat sleeves for my shifter cables. They are rated for 500+ degrees and can take up to 2000 degrees of direct radiant heat. They were very easy to install by just sliding over the end of the cables. They can be bought in various lengths.

www.designengineering.com

Heat Sheath - Aluminized Sleeving 010418 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products

Hope this helps.

Mike

Alex we have replaced 3 sets of cables before we found out to reroute the cables, I can tell you it gets so hot next to the headers we could not find a shielding that was capable of keeping the heat off. Route the cables to the drivers side up and around the side of the motor and to the top of the gearbox. Fran finally told me the same thing after the third set.

Is there room for that cable routing if you mount the front of the motor (GM LS) as low as possible? In other words, the front of the motor nearly resting on the cross member.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Yes....keep in mind we use an LS engine in the race car with the same cable shift that we supply for our street cars...and our engine/trans location is also the same as the street cars...

Running the cables along the diagonal chassis rail keeps them away from exhaust heat and make the routing to the transaxle easier too..

We still use the heat proof sleeve around the cables too though....necessary evil I am afraid.

Alex we have replaced 3 sets of cables before we found out to reroute the cables, I can tell you it gets so hot next to the headers we could not find a shielding that was capable of keeping the heat off. Route the cables to the drivers side up and around the side of the motor and to the top of the gearbox. Fran finally told me the same thing after the third set.

What difference does it make if you go from the driver or passenger side? Actually, wouldn't the driver side be worse because the motor is offset on the driver side .... at least w/ the passenger side you can push the headers outwards more and away (since you have more room on that side)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The engine is not offset...the center spine in the cockpit is offset but the tunnel allows the cables easy access past the engine.......

The cables should run down the passenger side of the transaxle but I am sure in typical Alex style you want to do it differently...:drunk:

The engine is not offset...the center spine in the cockpit is offset but the tunnel allows the cables easy access past the engine.......

The cables should run down the passenger side of the transaxle but I am sure in typical Alex style you want to do it differently...:drunk:

No no, mine are run down the passenger side .. don't worry, the Jr. Engineer has been beat out of me :)

If the engine isn't offset, how come the distance between the engine and the cross-beams that run along the side of the engine arn't the same? (i.e., I've got almost an extra inch between the engine and the aluminum beam on the passenger side when compared to the driver side). Or is the engine centered in the chassis but you'd have to measure it vs the chassis and not the aluminum beams? :confused:

Alex I have posted some pictures for the routing of the shifter cables. In the first picture is where it comes out from the tunnel and makes a hard turn, we kept it fairly flat coming under the alternator, in the second picture it shows the cables coming under the top of the frame by the firewall, from there we curved it around and insulated it where it was near the headers, it then shows the cables coming over the gearbox and to the mounts. This direction coming to the mounts was a better alignment then from the passenger side of the car. I can tell you this is why I have so much money in the car, it is because fixing things like this problem before we finally got it to stop seizing up. The shifter is a little stiffer but we have not melted a cable yet since the new routing.

Attachments

• IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG