Protecting underside fiberglass from rock impacts?

I'm currently contemplating what to do with the area above the tires on the front and rear clips to absorb the impact from rocks (so I don't get cracks/stars through the fiberglass to the paint)

I know the traditional way is to use bedliner, but i hate that shit - my cobra's body was bedlinered and it's a @#$$@# anytime i had to do glass work, so I want something that can absorb rock impacts.

I was thinking of cutting some adhessive heat barrier and placing it over the tires, but that would look kind of weird ... so then I thought about plastidipping it. Easy to remove if I had to......think plastidip would absorb the impact well enough?

Hello
In Le Mans car front and rear bonnets sometime ago when bonnets where not done in carbon kevlar we used to mold a very very thin sheet of cloth or matt and we sticked this easy bended foil with biadhesive tape so there was a sort of thin armor with a space of say 1mm to afford stone impact .
I remember these protections were able to last more than one season and lots of miles and then when hardly destroyed it was so easy and kick to take them off and replace.
Eventually if internal forms are too complicate you can just apply tape inside the fiberglass as an unmolding barrier then mold some 450 gr matt and unmold after cure , just clean the prévious tape and stick the thin molding with biadhesive

hope this helps

Inner fenders that Fran sells.

Then just coat them with the bed liner. Easier to work on any fiberglass and they are replaceable if they get damaged.

You Cut to fit 1/4" SC42 Duro foam with 3M #80 spray adhesive works on Superformance cars and is used.

Google "clubcobra" and wheel/fender lining or protection. A lot of threads regarding protection on those fiberglass/alloy cars.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I habe heard Cork floor tiles work pretty well to absorb the kits from the rocks.

After fitting coat with paint or they will absob moisture

Ian

I used quarter inch neoprene foam rubber sheets to line my ally Kirkham, and never had any dents from thrown rocks, even with sticky tires.

Cut the sheets to shape, and attach with either contact cement or 3M Super 80 spray on adhesive. Just make sure you have everyting positioned correctly, 'cause it aint comin' off.

I used quarter inch neoprene foam rubber sheets to line my ally Kirkham, and never had any dents from thrown rocks, even with sticky tires.

Cut the sheets to shape, and attach with either contact cement or 3M Super 80 spray on adhesive. Just make sure you have everyting positioned correctly, 'cause it aint comin' off.

Trying to avoid the whole 'permanent attachment' business ... I learned on my cobra permanent attachment to body is code for #%@@^%^432%%$#@!!!! if you want to work on it in the future in that area

Alex, if you look carefully, you will find that some coremat has been added to the body laminates in the wheelwell areas. This is specifically to prevent rocks from
causing stress cracks at the top surfaces of both front and rear clips. Use some
bed liner (for noise) and be done.

Trying to avoid the whole 'permanent attachment' business ... I learned on my cobra permanent attachment to body is code for #%@@^%^432%%$#@!!!! if you want to work on it in the future in that area

Quite right.

But, you can grind through the foam to do your repairs almost as quickly as if it wasn't there.

Alex, if you look carefully, you will find that some coremat has been added to the body laminates in the wheelwell areas. This is specifically to prevent rocks from
causing stress cracks at the top surfaces of both front and rear clips. Use some
bed liner (for noise) and be done.

I had noticed that but I wasn't certain the purpose of it. Now I know :)

Alex,
The CoreMat is there to add strengh and provide a barrier for the rocks to help prevent spidercracks. You could extend it front and back with additional mat if it pleasures you. Ditto on the roll-on bedliner to quiet things and add another layer of protection. :thumbsup:

Back