La Chartre Sur Loir

Hi
A few months ago I joined a local car club here in La Sarthe, called CAP72 (Club Auto Passion), 72 being the department number. They have welcomed me with open arms. Every month there is an expedition to one of the villages in the region. This month, it was La Chatre Sur Loir. In a couple of the photos you can hopefully make out the Hotel de France. This was where John Wyer made his headquarters during his many visits to the 24 Heures du Mans.
A number of drivers continue to stay there. I'm pretty sure Derek Bell has used it as his base during the 24 H and also more recently for the Classic.
Regards
Stephen

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 327
Ian
You have realised this too !! What is it with the weather this year ? Even the French are complaining, as if they ever do !! Mind you, not a patch on what is happenning in the UK at moment. Dave Garner and I seem to share the same Karma(?). Every time we take our cars out, it rains. Mind you, I went out yesterday and today in it, and the weather was fantastic for the time of year. Lovely sun, nice and dry and quite warm. Maybe its to do with the fact that I didn't take any photos.
Regards
Stephen

Glenn M

Supporter
Hi Stephen,

Went down to Angouleme for the Circuit des Remparts last year and dropped in to the Hotel de France on the way back. The pictures on the walls inside are fabulous aren't they? Obviously you and your car weren’t around as it wasn’t raining!

Glenn

Attachments

• DSC04632.jpg
    DSC04632.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 372
Hi,
Here's one from a few Le Mans Classics ago when they still had the traditional red signwriting on the hotel.
We had a meal in there & a look at the various memorobilia on the walls.
Regards Steve.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of some club members' cars at an early Le Mans Classic. 2004 or 2006?

David.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hoteldeFrance4.jpg
    hoteldeFrance4.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Hi
When was that photo taken ? The one without the hedge. Its amazing how time almost stands still here, and I suppose in many French villages. That black and white photo could almost have been taken yesterday. We did have good weather yesterday. I have a photo somewhere of a GT40 coming through our local village, La Grand Luce, probably on route from La Chartre to Le Mans. I must try and replicate this photo with my GT40. Even though the time difference is probably almost 50 years, not much has changed. But then I suppose everything has changed. I've also got a photograph of a couple of 917's being driven through the village, but don't know the story there.
Stephen

Brian Magee

Supporter
Glen,
It might be easier to Photo-Shop it out.

Stephen,
The original photo was taken in 1973 during the Le Mans 50th anniversary celebrations. Ford had organised a dinner there with Carol Shelby as guest of honour.

Our picture was taken very early one morning in 2002 during to first Classic Le Mans weekend. The cars are L to R Dave Champ's (now owned by John Oxborough), mine and Roy Snook's (now owned by Richard Hagley). Even though we were there early we had to wait for a couple of guests at the hotel to move their cars.

Hi Brian,

Thought you would pop up with the info when I posted the photo!!
If I rember correctly there was also a photo with the three of you standing near the cars?

David.

Brian Magee

Supporter
David,

Thanks for posting the picture. I lost my hard drive recently with those pictures on otherwise I would have posted it.

Yes there was another picture with us standing beside the cars wearing boiler suits dyed light blue to look like Dunlop racing overalls. Fortunately I haven't got a copy!!

Brian.

I stayed there two years ago on a De Tomaso tour enroute to Le Mans Classic. The event organizer selected the hotel just because he thought it would be a good place--he didn't know any of the history and chose it purely by accident! :rolleyes2:

It's a bit antiquated, rather like our cars, and we loved it for that! :thumbsup:

Back