Wheel arch lip?

How much lip do you guys have on your front and rear clips, above the tire? I've got ~1.25'' (roughly), but I'm not certain if I should sand it down or not?

I was looking at that to, I am at 1 1/2" front and back, I was going to leave it until I drove the car to see if there was issue's if it doesn't rub I would leave it, it will help to keep it stronger. also I found an area in my center section where there was no fiberglass at all just gel coat so I have a bit fixing to do. If any one is doing up a show car it would be very advisable to let the body sit in the hot sun for a few days it will save you a lot of heart ache later with a spoiled paint job, I was able to find over 30 air bubbles traps in the gel coat one was over 1" in dia easy to fix stuff so long as you catch it while it's still in gel coat.
Cheers,
Grant

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Do you guys have 1/8" thick wheel spacers in the back. I"m wondering why they are needed. I don't see any evidence of rubbing to justify their use.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
It may not apply here but on my 40 I had a "rolled" lip of about 3/4" and the rear would catch the side wall of the tire in extreme conditions. Once it tore the fiberglass pretty good. So I had my body shop fill it solid and sand it smooth so if the side wall does rub then no harm no foul.

I have the CCW wheels but mine is trimmed to about 1/2 inch at the top and I let it widen towards the bottom. Just make sure the tires will move up into the body without hitting.

Do you guys have 1/8" thick wheel spacers in the back. I"m wondering why they are needed. I don't see any evidence of rubbing to justify their use.

Ken did these come with your car? just wondering I never got any with mine, Im wondering if it has to do with the type of rims you choose?
This might be one for Fran to answer.
Cheers,
Grant

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Grant I'm using GM stock Z06 wheels. (not reproductions)

Maybe these spacers are required for those using the handbrake option.

Does anyone else have them?

Grant I'm using GM stock Z06 wheels. (not reproductions)

Maybe these spacers are required for those using the handbrake option.

Does anyone else have them?

It depends on your brake/wheel combination.

CCWs w/ Wilwoods had 1/8'' spacer in the front, no spacer in the rear. CCWs W/ 15'' Brembos had a spacer in the rear.

It depends on your brake/wheel combination.

CCWs w/ Wilwoods had 1/8'' spacer in the front, no spacer in the rear. CCWs W/ 15'' Brembos had a spacer in the rear.
With the BBK and CCW's, the rear spacer goes between the brake rotor and hub (spaces out the rotor and wheel) and in the front, the spacer sits between the rotor and wheel (spaces out the wheel only). I believe I had the first optioned kit with the big Brembos so Fran may have redesigned them since then.

They are not cut from the factory...we leave them as moulded but they need to be trimmed back to 3/4 inch depending upon your wheel and tyre choice...

Back