Another scratch-build looney

Keith

Great find! I remember an M1 racing in our Thundersports" series in the '80's with a Big Block Chevrolet in the back. Great looking car and I always wanted it, but never found one. Weren't they constructed to fulfill a homologation requirement, i.e. only a limited run?

Do you realise that Max Mosely must have had his hands on that tub? :uneasy:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Ridiculously impressive indeed and super talented, so I assume this (without support under the front roll hoop) is a "before" pic, and the finished article has something solid in there:

image-430140-galleryV9-bjal.jpg

Very impressive though! Is that an alu cage structure?

Chris

Hi there been busy for a while so nearly got some time back, to keep me busy the last 18months I built a car for `the wife`.....well she said she wanted one so damned if I was going to pay some one and miss all the fun.
It started out as a slightly scalled up (called big bums) version of a Lotus 7 running a 2ltr 6cyl Nissan 5speed und using an entire Nissan Syvia S14 rear subframe. O course I built it strong enought that I could slot in a small V8 at a latter date. Well that happened halfway thru the build when Carol liked the sound of my other Rover powered car, the Mclaren replica.
Out went 200kg of Nissan replaced by 100kg of Rover mated up to the Nissan speed. The car landed on its wheels 30th Dec. just gone and will be road registered for that Sunday coffee!
As I said the whole car is 10%bigger and still retains the same looks so it will surely be a bit of fun

Attachments

• new camera 019.JPG
    new camera 019.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 361
  • carols car 019.jpg
    carols car 019.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 374
Hi Russel as a past seven owner myself, I had a reasonably quick Fraser, I was wondering whos nose cone and scuttle you used.
looks ok and I bet it sounds great
cheers john

Hello John
I was over your way last year and never gave you a thought, sorry.
The nose cone was from Fraser`s, he moulded me an over size left hand and right hand side, put the two bits onto the car, cut and joined where they fitted and hey presto...a wide mothed frog! The rest I made up with rolled alloy etc and then waxed and moulded the glass fibre components.
I had planned on removing the rear suspension components from the subframe and building the chassis accordingly, when I looked at it as not being a race car and that 4 rubber insulated bolts held in a perfectly good sub frame, the rest is history. This forced the car to be 1120mm wide so with the added length, things are in proportion. Made the certification a breeze. I even managed to do do the adaptor plate myself along the lines of the other car where the Rover ring gear runs in a recess in the adaptor plate allowing standard Rover ring gears (Auto ones as they are thrown away for zilch) Pretty sure that 1st won`t get used much as its a 4.1 LSD so Carol will get by with minimal gear changes.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 293
  • carols car 004.jpg
    carols car 004.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 267
  • carols car 002.jpg
    carols car 002.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 267
Back