Warped dash - solutions?

Hey folks,

My dash seems to be a little warped. The passenger side front edge is up to 3/4" higher than the driver side - see the attached pic.
attachment.php

What are some good ideas on how to fix this? Is it matter of just screwing it into a mounting bracket with a lot of screws on that side to hold it down? Seems like an ugly solution that puts a lot of pressure on the dash. Any other ideas for those with more fiberglass and/or SLC dash experience then me?

Thanks,

Tim

Attachments

• bent dash.jpg
    bent dash.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 919

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Tim -

You could make a basic fixture out of wood to mount the dash on then aim a heat lamp on the warped area to relax the fiberglass. It may take a bit of time and possibly some weight on the warped edge to bring it back into alignment.

Fiberglass can bend and flex quite a bit - especially if the part isn't fully cured (not an issue with your dash) or supported. If you have body or trim panels off the car it's a good idea to support them so they can't flex too much. The best is to leave them mounted to the chassis if possible.

Dave L

Tim, with the leading edge angled as it is and as thick as it is, I can't imagine it warping.
How did you determine that it's warped? Have you installed tabs around front perimeter of windshield opening on body to support dash? Are they at same height? The dash will get sandwiched between lip of windshield opening and tabs. Check Allen's build log for good pics.

If it is warped, Dave gave very good advice

Tim really hard to tell by this pic? can you get it mocked up in place that will be the best way to see whats going on. Do the two tabs at each end line up on a straight line? This is really strange, if it is that far out, don't touch it just sent it back for a new one.
Cheers,
Grant

Tim hard to tell from this pic, not quite sure what were looking at? I haven't checked mine to see if it is the same or if it suppost to be like that but this is strange.
I would fit it into the car and see what it looks like if it is twisted, send it back.
I don't think there would be a problem getting a new one.
Cheers,
Grant

I tapped into the Aluminum dash support 1/4-20 then I screwed in 2 bumpers that raise and lower the dash. with is wedged against the windshield it actually ends up changing the curve of the center of the dash in cross section, up and down. i think pics are in the build log

Tim, with the leading edge angled as it is and as thick as it is, I can't imagine it warping.
How did you determine that it's warped? Have you installed tabs around front perimeter of windshield opening on body to support dash? Are they at same height? The dash will get sandwiched between lip of windshield opening and tabs. Check Allen's build log for good pics.

If it is warped, Dave gave very good advice

I fitted it into the car after making my steering column movable and noticed that it sits up on the passenger side. After pulling it back out, it was clear that the problem is that side just being higher. It's definitely warped. I couldn't even sandwich it in right now...

Tim

Tim -

You could make a basic fixture out of wood to mount the dash on then aim a heat lamp on the warped area to relax the fiberglass. It may take a bit of time and possibly some weight on the warped edge to bring it back into alignment.

Fiberglass can bend and flex quite a bit - especially if the part isn't fully cured (not an issue with your dash) or supported. If you have body or trim panels off the car it's a good idea to support them so they can't flex too much. The best is to leave them mounted to the chassis if possible.

Dave L

Interesting... I will definitely give this method a shot tonight to see if I can nurse it back into shape. Thanks!

Tim

Tim: I had the same issue with motorcycle race bodywork. In the summer I would just put it out in the sun on the deck and the heat would soften it up enough to flex it into position. Doesn't look like it's warm enough in San Fran to do that! Dave's got a good solution for you.

Do the "tabs" on the left and right side of the dash fit flat against the aluminum of the chassis? It appears that the cuby hole on the dash hits the upright of the chassis, which doesn't allow it to sit flush. Hope that made sense.

Does the cuby hole need to be notched for the upright, or is the dash mounted with standoffs?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Ben -

On my car the tabs mount flush to the chassis with no clearance issues. The forward edge of the dash will need to be supported but you shouldn't have to cut the dash to make it fit - other than around the roll bars. Here's how my dash looks just clamped in place.

Dave L

Do the "tabs" on the left and right side of the dash fit flat against the aluminum of the chassis? It appears that the cuby hole on the dash hits the upright of the chassis, which doesn't allow it to sit flush. Hope that made sense.

Does the cuby hole need to be notched for the upright, or is the dash mounted with standoffs?

Attachments

• SLC Dash Installed.JPG
    SLC Dash Installed.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 284
No matter how I move my dash around, the upright is still in the way. Tim, have you set your dash in place? Hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto your thread.

It's a little hard to get a photo of, but here's what I'm talking about. As you can see, the tabs don't sit up against the chassis on either side. It appears that the cuby hole is too deep. Am I doing something wrong here?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 259
The tabs do NOT sit flush with the chassis on the newer chassis....earlier units like Daves do...
There will be a space of approx 1 inch between the dash and the aluminum chassis tube....this is a change we made approx 2 years ago to make body fitment easier for our customers...

The tabs do NOT sit flush with the chassis on the newer chassis....earlier units like Daves do...
There will be a space of approx 1 inch between the dash and the aluminum chassis tube....this is a change we made approx 2 years ago to make body fitment easier for our customers...

That's what I thought. The instruction manual says the dash attaches to the body and with the fitment I was seeing that made sense.

Fran - any advice beyond Dave's on "unwarping" my dash?

Tim

No matter how I move my dash around, the upright is still in the way. Tim, have you set your dash in place? Hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto your thread.

It's a little hard to get a photo of, but here's what I'm talking about. As you can see, the tabs don't sit up against the chassis on either side. It appears that the cuby hole is too deep. Am I doing something wrong here?

No problem at all on adding this to the thread. As you can see from Fran's response, it's because you're trying to align the dash to the chassis on the sides. You should be aligning to the body since you have a newer-style dash.

Tim

I cut the cubby hole out to get the dash tabs to sit against the chassis because of what I had seen in the build manual I don't think it will make any difference if the dash is further forward as there is still room for it and its help to close in the gap between the dash and the windshield.

Attachments

• _MG_5712.jpg
    _MG_5712.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 319
  • _MG_5714.jpg
    _MG_5714.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 325

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry guys - I didn't intend to lead you astray on the dash mounting. I had no idea Fran had changed the way it mounts. I'll have to admit that I don't see how the change makes body fitment easier? Oh well.

Dave L

Trust me Dave it makes it much much easier as it allows more "float" for the body in the for/aft direction and also side to side..

Having spent countless hours trying to make the car easier for customers to build this was a biggie...and made everything from door fit to windscreen fitment easier.
The body/chassis has more clearance and means its less likelt to hang up anywhere due to panel layup or production stack up...

Back