Back to the QR discussion

So as not to muck up Ken's build blog, I thought it best to start a new thread.

I received my Pfadt adapter today, and was really expecting something larger than what it is. It's really quite tiny! I was holding off on buying the actual QR mechanism because I wanted to see just how close this would put the steering wheel to me. The decision is between the short/stubby QR or the standard size.

What I've found thus far is that the Pfadt is splined to match the column. However, the splines on the Pfadt are recessed, so they can't make contact with the splines of the column. The logical solution would be to mill off one end of the Pfadt, thus allowing full contact with the splines of the column. This would also reduce the distance to the driver by around 1.2cm.

Impressive looking part the Pfadt is. Looks small even in my girly hands.

Attachments

• IMG_5175.JPG
    IMG_5175.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 320

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a look at the Pfadt adapter mocked up in the car with seats and shifter resting in their final position. I have the seats slid back as far as possible. I'm 6"1".

The steering wheel is positioned perfect for me with the standard NRG quick release. The steering column "head" however is right up against the aluminum cross brace. I don't know if it has any more travel to move it towards me for clearance so it can tilt up.

If I have to move the column out (towards me) to get the clearance needed to have the tilt up and down functioning then the steering wheel might be too close.
006.jpg

007-2.jpg

What I've found thus far is that the Pfadt is splined to match the column. However, the splines on the Pfadt are recessed, so they can't make contact with the splines of the column.

That seems really odd. It was made specifically for this column, but doesn't make the required contact?

Ken, did you have this problem too?

The spline of the Pfadt is recessed almost 12mm. On the steering column, after the spline and going towards the steering rack, the shaft of the column is a larger diameter.

You can't push the Pfadt any further onto the column to make spline contact.

The spline of the Pfadt is recessed almost 12mm. On the steering column, after the spline and going towards the steering rack, the shaft of the column is a larger diameter.

You can't push the Pfadt any further onto the column to make spline contact.

Ben - I'm trying visualize what you're saying, not quite grasping it. Can you snap a photo.

BTW: that picture of the pfadt in your hand... looks like somebody shrunk it! I didn't realize how small the piece was. -- Sharkey

Ken Roberts

Supporter
That seems really odd. It was made specifically for this column, but doesn't make the required contact?

Ken, did you have this problem too?

I'm having trouble visualizing his problem. I'll take mine apart after work today to compare. Mine seemed to slide on without a hitch. I haven't tightened the nut down yet as they are a one time use only.

The clock spring must be present for this adapter to work though.

I took a closer look at the adapter last night and realized that it must be installed in a certain orientation. It did slide on easily, but still only made contact with about 1/2 of the splines.

In the photo you can see that the splines are recessed. I think I will still need to have the neck of the Pfadt shortened.

Attachments

• _MG_5184.JPG
    _MG_5184.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 264
I'd call the folks at Pfadt before you cut anything. Unless the XLR column is somehow different than a C6 column (are they different?), this adapter should fit without issue. If you shorten it too much I 'm thinking it might not clear the rest of the housing or other "stuff" at the wheel end of the shaft/column.

Just got off of the phone with them. The C6 and C6 Z06 column is the same, and they only make one adapter. I don't know if the XLR column is different. Using the "eyeball" method, and with the column shroud in place, I think that once the QR is added, there should be plenty of space between the steering wheel and signal stocks. Nothing else would be in the way.

I don't have the steering wheel, or the QR yet. Maybe I should hold off on shortening the adapter until I have those in hand?

Ken, what do you think? I would only be shortening the adapter by about 9-10mm. I know it doesn't sound like much, but there would be almost half again as much spline contact.

I just got my new steering wheel today, and let me tell you, it is beautiful. The shape is wonderfully contoured, and the suede feels great. I'm sure it will wear down soft sooner or later. It also has a provision for a horn.

It has no real dish to it, which I think will help with any distance issues. Does anyone know how far the column moves fore and aft?

The wheel is an OMP Supraquadro. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Ken, did you find that the Pfadt won't completely seat on the column?

Attachments

• 178.JPG
    178.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 265
Ben after I bought the car I was not comfortable with the steering wheel so close to my legs and wanted it more forward, mine had the electric column and I do not know if that is what now comes with the cars or not. I decided I was the only one to drive the car, so I took all the electric stuff off, drilled and taped the aluminum on the column so I could set the column at a distance from me and then tightened it down, removing the electric system also allowed me to raise the column up to its maximum height to clear my legs. My wheel is removable and now fits well with me in the car and plenty of room.
Bob D

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ben my car is away getting the exhaust and coolant tubes fitted. The next time I'm out there I'll investigate the Pfadt fit and report my findings.

Ken,

Not to hijack the thread, could I ask you to share some pics of your ebrake cable routing and installation of the handle? Feel free to start a new thread or email me directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Tim

If it's acceptable to the mods/admin, I have not problems with this thread deviating from the original topic. I rather enjoy a "rolling" conversation.

Bob: The newer cars do come with a telescoping column. I was looking at another builders photos and noticed that they had moved the telescoping mechanism to the underside of the chassis near the column.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken,

Not to hijack the thread, could I ask you to share some pics of your ebrake cable routing and installation of the handle? Feel free to start a new thread or email me directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Tim

Tim I haven't received my ebrake cables yet. I requested they be made to accommodate my lever on the drivers outboard side. The cables will enter the passenger compartment on the drivers side right next to the fuel tank. I used a hole saw to drill a hole thru the bulkhead. I'll post pictures on my build thread as I progress.

Bob: The newer cars do come with a telescoping column. I was looking at another builders photos and noticed that they had moved the telescoping mechanism to the underside of the chassis near the column.

Relocated motor = additional foot room

Attachments

• 0152.jpg
    0152.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 296
I have a QR question...

I'm using a Momo wheel, and I like the quick release included with the car. The Grant-Momo adapters are cheap enough to get, but is it really necessary? Is there any reason I can't just drill and tap the Momo bolt pattern into the quick release included with the kit? Am I missing something?

Back