388 views and no one asked the obvious!

Will, your on the right track. First, the canards are built that way. I wouldn't now how to put them on any different. The fat end to the front will not work but I still like how they look!

Admittedly, it is hard to see the issues with the first SLC nose. The quality of parts RCR is putting out is just ridiculous. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in not only the fiberglass but also the durability of the substructure. I have always been a fan of RCR but this just about put me over the edge.

I hit a little itty bitty guard rail nose first only running between 15 and 60 mph look at what happened!

IMG_0589-1.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591-1.jpg

Good thing I have a crack team of mechanics on hand 24/7.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595-1.jpg

All joking aside, what really sucked was I was only 3 weeks from the Run and Gun event.

Obviously Fran was one of my first calls. He told me to try and have it fixed locally and we thought that would be cheaper but after 3 very competent body guys told me no way I call Fran back and ordered all the parts. This was on a Thursday. I had a pallet full of stuff the following Tuesday. He sent me a blue gel coat nose but it was a little different color so it went to the body shop for paint. Got it back, put it all together and drove to Tulsa for the event the next day.

No one ever wants to crash there baby but a combination of wet/cold track, cold slicks, big horse power and the nerves taught me a few lessons that day about respect for my SLC.

I was actually amazed at how well the the car took the hit. The front suspension, steering and aluminum tub were all completely undamaged. I hit pretty hard too. Even with a Hans device, I was still sore weeks after the "incident".

Well it is all looking very good again for its winter's rest.

Race cars do get beat up. No way around that reality.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Ouch!! I know that feeling ---the radiator way out the front makes a pretty good crumple zone though.
Impressed with the quick fix :thumbsup:

Will, your on the right track. First, the canards are built that way. I wouldn't now how to put them on any different. The fat end to the front will not work but I still like how they look!

I think you'll find that the canards fit if you flip them side-to-side and front to rear. :) That will put the wide end in front, where it will do the most good.

I don't understand the comment about the FG. Can you be more specific?

I think you'll find that the canards fit if you flip them side-to-side and front to rear. :) That will put the wide end in front, where it will do the most good.

I'll give it a try Will. I was joking about the fiberglass not being strong. The car held up very well given what I did to it. There was no damage to any other part on the car. Had the car hit the rail at a slightly different angle, I might not have been so lucky.

Out of curiosity, would you mind telling us the total cost of the needed replacement parts to fix this? No labor costs included.

JR

Just glad you're ok.....as for your wallet.....that might be another story. But as someone else has stated numerous times......"THAT'S RACING." Certainly not for the meek!

John, that's a fair question.

Here is what I needed to replace.
All the aluminum in the front.
The radiator
The front clip
Headlight covers

I saved the canards, the carbon fiber Louvre's and some misc hardware

I had an extra splitter and hardware and I needed a set of tires.

The front clip needed to be painted and finally everything had to be assembled.

I hate to get into the details just because I'm not sure it is appropriate but a crisp, new $5000.00 dollar bill would have been helpful.

The thing that I really want to show is that the car protected the driver and the front end crumpled in a way that saved me a lot of money by not hurting the steering or suspension, not to mention the tub.

I know I crashed but this is an awesome car. If you don't have your car finished, just wait! There is nothing at a track day that is going to touch your SLC! :thumbsup: I can't wait for spring!

If you don't have your car finished, just wait! There is nothing at a track day that is going to touch your SLC! :thumbsup: I can't wait for spring!

Dean, me too. I do VIR at least twice a year and this next time will be in a "street" version SLC. It'll be interesting --

The radiator
The front clip
Headlight covers

I saved the canards, the carbon fiber Louvre's and some misc hardware

I had an extra splitter and hardware and I needed a set of tires.

The front clip needed to be painted and finally everything had to be assembled.

I hate to get into the details just because I'm not sure it is appropriate but a crisp, new $5000.00 dollar bill would have been helpful.

The thing that I really want to show is that the car protected the driver and the front end crumpled in a way that saved me a lot of money by not hurting the steering or suspension, not to mention the tub.

I know I crashed but this is an awesome car. If you don't have your car finished, just wait! There is nothing at a track day that is going to touch your SLC! :thumbsup: I can't wait for spring!

Did you have any issues at all re-aligning the front with the spyder? If not, that's pretty amazing to take that much impact and not have anything past that point get impacted.

Since SLC vs Wall appears to have been a "success", what are your thoughts about getting t-boned by an F150 running a red light at 60mph? New door at worst? :D

The radiator
The front clip
Headlight covers

SNIP

Thanks for the reply. Given the total cost of running a state-of-the-art car on roadrace tracks WITHOUT ever hitting anything or suffering any drivetrain damage, I'd call 5%-7% of the car's value on a hit like that a screaming bargain...

JR

Larry, it might not have been that obvious. I just had a few PM's about it and so I decided to post up the story. I don't think that fact that its damaged is the give away, it's the fact that there was two in the first place that caught the eye of some other clubhouse members.

Alex, the old clip "snapped off" when I hit the rail. The latches are a break away design that worked great. The whole thing flew over the top of the car and landed on the track. It might have pushed the drivers door out of alignment but just a little. Other than that, the new clip fit like a glove. There was no body work needed. I cut all the appropriate holes and took it to the painter for a scuff and shoot paint job.

As for the F150, I think you would be a ramp more than an obstacle!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
it's the fact that there was two in the first place that caught the eye of some other clubhouse members.

Aaaaaaaah, I now see 'what's what'! Since I have undamaged hoods, etc., hanging on the walls (and above the rafters) in my shop, it never would have struck me as odd that you do as well! :D

Dean glad you are ok, and after wrecking my SLC into a guardrail backwards I too have a respect for that car to get away from you. It is so fast that you keep pushing it because it is handling too well. Before long oops. Glad to see you got it back together and get the parts from Fran so quickly. Like they say if you drive a car on the track eventually you are going to have a problem, glad it was only $5000 piece of cake.

Back