Gauge Cluster Signals

Does anyone know where I might find the signals/voltages coming from the ECU to the gauge cluster? Pretty much looking for

- Speedometer
- Tachometer
- Oil Pressure
- Temp
- Voltages (if app)
- Check Engine

Of course the more the merrier.

I'm trying an alternative to the display/gauge cluser we normally get with the SLC.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The OBD2 diagnostic connector has all those signals. Some guys split the connector into two and use one as a permanent connection and the other for connecting to a diagnostic scanner.

Wouldn't that only work when it is all hooked up and running. I'm basically trying to get the ranges for example, maybe speed might be measured from 0 pulses/sec and 100/sec is 150mph at a voltage of 12v,,

Pretty much looking for documentation or where I might find the docs. I'm in the mist of putting together something that will look a bit more stock than the race unit supplied.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Unless you are doing a custom dash, you'll never get a bunch of gauges to mount in the pod. A very small LCD display might work with all the signals picked up from the OBD2 port. There are a few available.

You are correct, the standard dash has a very small gauge cluster housing. I am planning on making/molding my own dash. That's one of the few things on the car I don't particulary care for.

I plan on doing a custom job for the gauge display.

You have essentially two choices, with very different approaches. One is to use the signals from the ECU as you suggested. In that case, there are no discrete signals for anything except RPM- all the rest are multiplexed on the CAN bus. You or the hardware/software you choose will need to inspect each packet on the bus and parse it accordingly, then use that data to somehow display it on something- probably an LCD.

The other approach is to ignore the CAN bus and use a specific sensor for each channel you want to measure. You can buy OTS sensors and test them in a test rig to get the info you want (e.g., submerge a temp sensor in water of a known temp, then heat the water while observing the sensor changes) and try to match that up to a set of gauges.

Realistically, unless you are already pretty familiar with this, you will find it to be a very long slog.

If you want custom gauges, the easiest thing to do is to use the OBDII port and combine it with something like Dash Command. Even that represents some level of integration that assumes some skills in electronics and computers.

James if its going to look like this one, make two, I buy one from you. :2thumbsup:

Attachments

• pagani_Huayra_interiors-1.jpg
    pagani_Huayra_interiors-1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Back