Ricardo gearing

I was interested to see if anyone has regeared the Ricardo gearbox and if it can be done. I would like to gear the final drive where the car will only do 200 to 205. I can hit 160 mph in 4th and still have 5th and 6th to go. The problem I see is it takes a long time to run through 3rd 4th and 5th on the track. I am wondering if you can change a gear to reduce how long each gear will run out, IOW like changing the rear end in a standard car where all the gears are quicker but the transmission is still the same. It is nice to have the tall gears but when you never use them because there isn't enough straight away, then change the gearing so that at the end of the straight away you are just about tacked out in 6th and I think 200 or so on a road course in my street car will just about be fast enough, maybe a little faster though. Any thoughts
Bob D

You can - Stillen made a package - but you're probably looking at the cost of the transaxle, maybe more, to do so.

Alex,
Check out the post from Doc...

I didn't realize they stopped makign them.

But I was right about the cost :D

"
6,643.00 for the set of gears. If the car is delivered to us then installation is $2,600.00.
"

$9k for gears & install, frrrrrrrrg, lol.

Doc thanks for the post, I see the thread ends in 2010 are they still taking names for this or is this a done deal. Also does anybody have a suggestion to get to the same point. If they are not building the sets anymore maybe we can do the same if we can find enough people who may be interested, and buy the sets of gears and find someone who may be able to install cheaper. I also noticed that these are not the dog ring style, I wonder why Ricardo did not go that way since many of the transaxles are .
Bob D

Doc thanks for the post, I see the thread ends in 2010 are they still taking names for this or is this a done deal. Also does anybody have a suggestion to get to the same point. If they are not building the sets anymore maybe we can do the same if we can find enough people who may be interested, and buy the sets of gears and find someone who may be able to install cheaper. I also noticed that these are not the dog ring style, I wonder why Ricardo did not go that way since many of the transaxles are .
Bob D

You can call Stillen and ask to speak to Kyle (Millen) and see what he says, but I doubt it. $10k for gears. $10k.... even I wouldn't crack my wallet for that one, lol, I choked at $1,200 for my Z06 gearing. Also, you need special tools and a working knowledge of the Ricardo to play with it, and I think, at least in the US, only Stillen and RPM Transmissions know how to.

Thanks Alex, wish there was a way to get this done I guess the only way to get to go through the gears faster is to add more Hp it may be cheaper. Maybe NOS. has anybody tried NOS on their SLC yet

Are Ricardo transmissions still being produced? Why wouldnt they offer them with different axle drive ratios? It sounds like they could easily ask a premium of $2-$4k for the addition of 3.90 gears.

Thanks Alex, wish there was a way to get this done I guess the only way to get to go through the gears faster is to add more Hp it may be cheaper. Maybe NOS. has anybody tried NOS on their SLC yet

option 1 - Phone Katech, have them build you a 800hp engine

option 2 - Add NOS, get ready to buy engine #5 (sorry Bob, but with your luck that'll be the case!)

Are Ricardo transmissions still being produced? .

Not as far as I know.

Back