An SL-C is in my future

Hi folks, I'm planning on ordering a SL-C in the near future and I'm here to learn from the pro's that have already been down that road.

I've bought custom cars, I've had custom cars built and I think that its now time that I build my own.
My initial plan for a power train is a:
GM Performance Built Special LS376-525HP motor and a Porsche 996 G96.50 gearbox setup.

Any suggestions and/or comments will be deeply appreciated.

Looking forward to picking your brains.

Jim

Good combo, but I guess it will have a bit of a lumpy idle?

Welcome to the SLC builders experience- you'll have a great time building the car!

Welcome to the forum Jim!
Why not get a crate LS376/425 and change the cam, it's the only difference.
A good savings can be derived right there. Enjoy!

Good combo, but I guess it will have a bit of a lumpy idle?

Welcome to the SLC builders experience- you'll have a great time building the car!

I sure hope so...I love the sound of a "lumpy idle in the morning"! I'm looking foward to the experience; thanks for the welcome.

Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim!
Why not get a crate LS376/425 and change the cam, it's the only difference.
A good savings can be derived right there. Enjoy!

I looked into the LS376/425, but forgot what price differance was, I'll have to recheck that. I'm just thinking out loud here; if I change the cam on the 425HP engine, do I void the 3 year warrenty?

Thanks for the welcome and input.

Jim

Probably void it, however, with the ASA camshaft/pushrods/springs kit it will easily make more than 525HP. Wayne's dynoed at closer to 580HP I believe. Streetable
with a rough (lumpy) idle.

It seems gm killed both of the motors said in this post. I was just looking at gm performance web site. I can not longer find a stock ls3. The hot cammed one is now only 480 hp. It now carrys a 8k price tag. That is with out a harness. When they did have both. There was about 1000-1500 dollar difference between a 525 and a normal ls3.

As for the warrnety. According to some thing I read on a Camaro forum. A guy installed a hot cam on a stock camaro. He said as long as a certificated shop dose it. It will not void the warranty.

Jim, I bought my engine/pcm combo from Fred Beans parts in PA. The engine was shipped out in about 3 days. There's certainly other vendors and choices but the pricing was right, parts in stock and shipped out promptly. I bought the LS3/376 (480hp) with PCM/wiring harness and the CTS-V front accessory kit from them.

LS376/480 with computer and harness

Results for GM Performance Engines:LS Series

I also considered the 525hp crate but after goggling this engine (approx. an extra $1g's for engine/pcm/harness as compared to the 480hp), I did not find enough feedback on any idle/low rpm drive-ability or possible surging.....real life driving experience - not just dyno charts and 1/4 mile stuff. What's going to be your car purpose re: a street machine, track car etc.

Last edited:
I did not find enough feedback on any idle/low rpm drive-ability or possible surging.....real life driving experience - not just dyno charts and 1/4 mile stuff. What's going to be your car purpose re: a street machine, track car etc.

I couldn't even find dyno stuff on it, other than GM propaganda!

Imho, I'm disappointed in my 525.

In terms of idle, it does have a nice choppy idle to it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIAFwqaK8CI"]RCR superlite SLC First Start - YouTube[/ame]

It does buck a little bit at low speed, but not horribly so. I'm not certain if it's the engine or the engine/clutch combo, but it is a bitch to get going from a stop. Normally I'm used to easing off the clutch and giving a little bit of gas. Here you need a lot a bit of gas because it loves to stall. Even on the dyno my tuner was swearing up and down at it. Adjusting the ?idle? timing though helped, so it's not as stall happy. Honestly, my 408w with a big-ass cam is easier to drive.

I think I would hate life if I had to drive this engine in traffic constantly.

In terms of power, it was a bit of a let down - barely 530 flywheel hp with headers and intake. Wayne also has quite a bit of extras (ported heads, etc..), so it's not fair to look at his engine. And, honestly, if I'm going through that nonsense of buying a crate engine and doing heads-off work, then i'll just do what I did for my 917 - go to Katech and buy engine. Yes, they're expensive, but there's no 2yr wait and I know I won't get an engine where rocker arms are 90* off the valve spring at 0 miles and I'm told it's due to "shipping damages"

In terms of GM build quality, hah. I originally bought my crate engine because I wanted peace of mind knowing it was assembled by the factory and would stay together forever just like an LS3 corvette. And then Shane told me the horror stories of the crate engines he's put into cars (e.g., no oil pressure, oil leaks out the rms, etc...). So I figured maybe Shane just has massive bad luck. And then I searched LS1tech and found at least 25% of people have problems with their LS crate engines. And then as I was working on mine I found numerous issues (e.g., crap in the valve covers, flexplate was only on hand-tight, waterpump was only on handtight) that shouldn't be. But it survived the dyno so I'm hoping maybe just the accessories weren't bolted on snugly and that's the worst of it.

Oh, and warranty, hahahahahhahahahaha. I bought it for the warranty, but then I read on LS1tech about your chances of success in the event of a claim.

So, in a nutshell, I would not do EFI again (I <3 carb) and I would not buy a GM crate again - it's not a sleeper and build quality can be suspect.

Also, don't buy the GM ECU thinking 'oh, it's for the 525 or the 480 so I won't need a dyno tune, it will be pretty close'. My a/f was pretty wonky and my timing was horrible - at some points I was at 15* timing

Jim welcome to the SLC forum. I would suggest looking at all the builds posted and get ideas as well as parts people have put together which they offer to the builder, brake ducts, water tank, etc. Fran has many parts but over time i have seen parts become available which builders have designed and fabricated just for the SLC. Research will help the starting point and if it starts well it will proceed better hopefully.
Bob D

Welcome to the boards Jim!

I run the ls376/480 with a 997 tt g50/70 I think. Track tested and running without a hiccup. Plenty of power to chase down anything on the track.

With all due respect, I'm never going back to carbs again. This was just to easy. :thumbsup:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Having just built 15 running driving chassis packages from scratch, for the latest movie project ,in the last 7 weeks all with LS3 crate engines I also disagree with you Alex...
Everyone fired up first time, idled and pulled hard....

Having just built 15 running driving chassis packages from scratch, for the latest movie project ,in the last 7 weeks all with LS3 crate engines I also disagree with you Alex...
Everyone fired up first time, idled and pulled hard....

Just think how much better they would have idled and pulled with a carb though! :evilgrin:

heh

In case you don't know, MBrooks is a racing rock star! He was the guy that really helped me this year at Run and Gun. I guess I didn't realize you were hanging around here, Mark.

As for the crate engines, don't make it any harder than it needs to be. Just order it through Fran. He can sit it right in your car and make sure everything fits with his SCL specific bling that you can get straight from him. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Back