Timing nightmare

So you think you've got a problem timing your cam and valves correctly? Child's play after looking at this:

Attachments

• bristol-hercules-734-sleeve-valve-radial-engine_jpg_500x400.jpg
    bristol-hercules-734-sleeve-valve-radial-engine_jpg_500x400.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 338

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Holy Schnikes!!!! It looks like a giant internal combustion clock!!!! :D

That thing actually powered something!? You've got to be kidding.

British engineering at it`s best!!!!!! The Centauras found in the Sea Fury and others, the Hercules was only 2000hp. Best get to Reno and see them go!!! Saw a cutaway Centauras in a museum up in Scotland, amazing, complex made the mind boggle!!!!

Seems the designer of the BRM H 16 engine used this as a study guide. The more complicated the better.

Z.C.

Last edited:
To those viewing this who have never seen a sleeve valve engine, this complex monster uses movable sleeves and ports to control intake and exhaust, not the traditional poppet valve method we are most familiar with.......kind of like a cross between two and four stroke technologies. With enough boost they were effective, as shown by the stats for the Sea Fury.
Jac Mac- I knew you would have some shots of this one. I thought it was mind-numbing enough just to think about the sleeve timing gears, but yes, it doesn't end there. It amazes me they could get all the sleeves and attendant mechanisms to function at full rpm.

Hi AJ

Ive been trying to work out how the engine works...

I found this site on radial engines, and some pics of the sleeve valve engine

Radial engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14BristolHerculesSleeveValves.jpg

15BristolHerculesSleeveValveClosed.jpg

Im geussing it has the same fireing intervals as a fourstroke engine, but the sleeve is cam driven, and stays up on the firing stroke, and comes down with the piston on the next cycle acting like a 2 stroke engine. Allowing the gasses to escape, and then the feul mixture is forced in by the turbo. Then the sleeve goes up with the piston, and stays up as the engine is then back on the fireing stroke......But Im not sure......

Could you please explain how the engine works

Mick

Try this youtube video.. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vrvep_YOio]Bristol Hercules sleeve valve radial animation - YouTube[/ame]

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have been thinking about this. I bet this sleeve system is LESS complicated than if a cam/valve system was used. I tried to draw a cam/valve system for two cylinders front and rear cylinder rows and gave up after about an hour.

This was done without computers! You see, once upon a time long ago engineering was done on a drafting table with a pencil. Strange but true................

Keith

First start Bristol Hercules - YouTube

What kind of drugs did the designers take to dream that up!

It went on to become the Bristol Centaurus one of the most powerful & reliable piston engines ever made (mainly because it was 'valveless'). It also powered Britain's last piston fighter the Sea Fury, which itself was a development of the Tempest. It was surprisingly reliable and I believe they made 58,000 of them all told...but it takes a Kiwi to keep them running these days!

That is until Napier came out with the Sabre a 16 cylinder 'H' configuration - also using sleeve valves, and with a compound turbocharger, 5,000 hp was possible. Sadly, that is the last major piston engine Napier built apart from the Deltic - then they got swallowed up by a succession of conglomerates.

Keith

One confirmed and one 'probable'. It wasn't a fair fight and I think an element of luck was involved. The Sea Fury was certainly more maneuverable at low altitudes and could achieve a fighter pilot's 'nirvana' - the ability to turn tighter than (inside) your opponent. I think the SF represented the apogee of piston engined fighters.

I remember them flying from HMS Daedalus in Lee-on-Solent in the late '50's. What a glorious noise!

They have a far more dubious claim to fame though. Cuban Sea Fury's were responsible for shooting down several B26's and other light bombers fielded by the (BOP) invaders as a result of which Kennedy opted not to back the (Bay of Pigs) invasion with overt US carrier borne fighters.

This led to cries of 'treachery' from various interested parties, including the CIA, and may have led, albeit in a tortuous and as yet unproven route, to Kennedy's assassination the following year as there is no doubt, with air superiority, the invasion would have stood a much better chance.

Back