How high is your steering wheel?

I'm doing a little rework on my steering and I was hoping for a few measuremnets. How high is your steering wheel? You can measure any way you can, just tell me how to replicate your measurement.

Thanks!

I'm using a manual shaft so I only have 1 viable position for the wheel; I don't think a measurement from me would be of much value :laugh:

But it's 15.5'' from the bottom of my steeriing wheel (6'clock) to the bottom of the floor (I have the dropped floor pan, so it's measuing to the bottom of the dropped floor pan since the wheel is over that area)

Here's where I'm coming from. I had to raise my steering wheel to keep from hitting my harness buckle. Now the wheel is a little in my line of sight. I was just curious if this is the normal position. In that regard, your measurement would help me understand what is normal.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
There is no normal.....the street car has a tilt and telescoping column with the column hinging just aft of the chassis crosscar beam...your column does not have this as you have a solid/D shaft steering column...personally I would add another joint similar to the street column and use a Nascar style column support welded/bolted to the cage....this way you are only raising the last part of the column and not the whole thing...
On the race car we do something similar and we have the dash/gauges mounted to the same mount so it moves with the steering wheel....

Your line of sight should be no issue as you should be looking for the apex off to the side and not the armco directly in front of you......

I had to raise my steering wheel to keep from hitting my harness buckle. Now the wheel is a little in my line of sight.

Just stop by a Pep Boys in a neighborhood that has a lot of Lowriders in it and get a smaller diameter steering wheel.

JR

This would do the trick. You could make one flat-bottomed too :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• tumblr_mdzpkneaTK1rlf0plo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_mdzpkneaTK1rlf0plo1_400.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 706
Dean:

The reticence of the forum to answer may lie in the title of your thread: how "high" is your steering wheel? Some of us may not wish to disclose publicly what controlled substances our steering wheels are using . . . . :)

Bassanio et Portia :)

Howard Jones

Supporter
here's mine if you need ideas

Attachments

• HPIM0871.jpg
    HPIM0871.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 270
  • HPIM0876.jpg
    HPIM0876.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 307
  • HPIM0879.jpg
    HPIM0879.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 264
  • HPIM0880.jpg
    HPIM0880.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 262
  • HPIM0887.jpg
    HPIM0887.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 278
I had to modify my steering column to raise it up. It was hitting my legs and therefore had to strip the electric motor and other stuff off to raise it up. I have included some pictures,I had to drill and tap the column housing to set the column the right distance from me, which I have a picture of that also. Hope this helps. My column from the floor to the bottom of the wheel is 13 3/4 ".

Attachments

• IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG