S Situation where you definitely need more HP!

Keith

It's a good time to mention that the most effective bilge pump ever, is.....

A drowning man, with a bucket..

Keith

Return to harbour with an almighty gale behind them creating that following sea. Add in a shallow sandbar and an ebb tide and there you go...

The risks they were taking is that being underpowered (for those conditions) they could not keep their sterns to the sea, as the waves were travelling faster, pushing their blunt sterns sideways into a "broach" (lying parallel with the wave system) probably the most dangerous situation for any boat apart from material failure. Two of them were nearly flipped over and there was a danger at one time in the video that the left hand boat could have crash landed on the stern of the boat ahead, and there was nothing he could have done about it.

With a lot more grunt, they could have positioned their boats just before the crest and ridden one wave almost all the way.

However, they were idiots just attempting it as Jack said. There is more safety in open water for a boat and they could have ridden it out in relative safety.

I would think that commercial considerations probably dictated the risk, i.e. the fish market and being 1st back with the catch..

A few years ago, I had to surf in through an inlet. Singlehanded, 30 foot sailboat, no
engine (had engine but it overheated, hence the adventure). Chose a big wave and
rode it in. MY keel bumped the bottom a few times, enough to scare hell out of me! Never to do again. I should have stayed out and waited a few hours.

Did I say never again....

Just dumb.

Running with it in those conditions makes no sense, even if you're trying to get into port via squeezing through a breakwater and over a sand bar on a falling tide....

Better to head out and get some deep water under the keel, put out a heavy duty sea anchor, lower the stabilizers and put on the kettle...on the gimbaled stove of course. Impatience has killed more fisherman than anything else.

I would think that commercial considerations probably dictated the risk, i.e. the fish market and being 1st back with the catch..

I was going to suggest the same. People don't kill people, money kills people. Ban the right have money. ;)

Keith

I was going to suggest the same. People don't kill people, money kills people. Ban the right have money. ;)

Don't stop there mate, ban money, men, guns AND the Paddock!

Why not ban women? Well if I was to be born again I'd definitely be a lesbian..

and I reckon, after years of practice, I'd be quite good at it...

That is over the Greymouth Harbour Bar in the South Island of NZ, It is like that most of the time and the local fishing fleet deal with those conditions quite often. They have drowned a few fishermen on that bar. There is another video of a boat coming in and broaching right in the river mouth and being barrel rolled a couple of times.
Brave, stupid, take your pick but they have no real choice short of going some where else to live.
Cheers Leon.

Keith

Thanks for the heads up Leon. All I can say then is that the boats seem quite unsuitable if they have to endure those conditions on a regular basis. Even a cruiser stern would help...and of course, more power.. :)

Back