Wiper installation help.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'm getting ready to mount the wiper motor. Looking for some advice.

Did you mount it high enough to avoid cutting into the aluminum tub?

What arm did you use? How long is the ideal arm? Did you change the arm to get a lower mount height (not using the adapter) I didn't get one with my SLC so I have no reference to go by.

What length of wiper blade is ideal?

Is 110 degrees the sweep patern to use?

What is the mounting height for the shaft hole you used from the bottom of the window?

What is the side distance for the shaft hole?

I'm not sure if the motor being shipped is the same one I have, but I think even the very latest ones are very close.

I mounted mine in such a way that it required an opening in the chassis for the motor body to fit. I did that because that location gave a perfect fit and sweep.

However, many people mount it higher, but lose some sweep coverage in order to avoid making a (small) hole in the chassis. It's up to you.

I ended up with the 110 degree sweep, though I at first made a couple of different plates to get a custom sweep. Turns out 110 worked out after all, if you mount it correctly.

You need to mount it with an understanding of how the park function works, so it doesn't park on the body itself, but just at the low point on the windshield.

I ended up making a hybrid arm, with the original marine arm connected to the motor to avoid an adapter, then cut off the marine wiper arm and grafted on part of an automotive arm, so I could get a wide range of arm lengths, as well as better range in wiper styles.

When done, mine fits very close to the windshield, has good spring pressure on the arm (so it doesn't fly off at high speed and wipes correctly at speed), and has what I think is the optimal sweep, as well as parking correctly.

PM me if you want pics with a tape measure showing where I made the hole, etc.

I know the Ultima GTR boys had figured an arm that gave a perfect sweep but then their front glass is reasonably different, so I'm not sure if it would still be helpful to the SL-C.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not anywhere near this point yet but would someone mind posting a pictiure and some info on the wiper motor that's being used now? I need to buy one.

Thanks!
Dave L

I had to notch the top of the footbox to center this wiper motor a bit. it works great, i've been stuck in the rain a few times. it is 1/2" too long but doesnt seem to bother it even with one arm across that huge angle in the glass. Fran may have changed that motor from my 2009 kit though?

Attachments

• wiper location.JPG
    wiper location.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 365
  • wiper hole notched in footbox.JPG
    wiper hole notched in footbox.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 371
  • wiper cut into top of footbox.JPG
    wiper cut into top of footbox.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 411
Use the 0ne-inch shaft! No cutting the footbox required. AFI makes a black wiper arm that is adjustable for length too. About $14.00.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Guys - Forgive me because I haven't done this yet but what if one were to flip the motor 180 degrees? Would that eliminate the need to cut into the foot box and still be able to use a motor with a 2-inch shaft (since that's what I just bought ;-)? Or, can it only be mounted in one orientation?

Dave L

Guys - Forgive me because I haven't done this yet but what if one were to flip the motor 180 degrees? Would that eliminate the need to cut into the foot box and still be able to use a motor with a 2-inch shaft (since that's what I just bought ;-)? Or, can it only be mounted in one orientation?

Dave L

I tried this, and concluded that it wouldn't work, or do what I wanted it to do, anyway. If I were younger, I'd probably remember why... :)

Back