SLC ISIS questions

Hi Folks,
I have some questions regarding the SLC “ISIS”. I hope that you forgive me for asking such basic questions. I thought that I had a basic understanding of the system; however, some posts and interior pictures of SLC's seem to contradict my original understanding of one of the features.

I was under the impression that ISIS was in-part an integrated system security and as long as a key fob was present in the car, all that is necessary to start the car is to press a button (similar to systems found in high-end cars such as Mercedes-Benz). That was my theory until I saw pictures of SLCs” with keys danging from an ingination switch.

Question: Is my theory correct? If yes; why would keys be necessary?
Question: I guess it doesn’t get anymore basic than this...”what does ISIS stand for”?

My further understanding of ISIS, it's a multiplex electrical operating system that is capable of controling every electrical function in the SLC.

Question: To date has any builder desired to install a electrical feature that ISIS was not capable of handling?

Thank you,
Jim

Hi Folks,
I have some questions regarding the SLC “ISIS”. I hope that you forgive me for asking such basic questions. I thought that I had a basic understanding of the system; however, some posts and interior pictures of SLC's seem to contradict my original understanding of one of the features.

I was under the impression that ISIS was in-part an integrated system security and as long as a key fob was present in the car, all that is necessary to start the car is to press a button (similar to systems found in high-end cars such as Mercedes-Benz). That was my theory until I saw pictures of SLCs” with keys danging from an ingination switch.

Question: Is my theory correct? If yes; why would keys be necessary?
Question: I guess it doesn’t get anymore basic than this...”what does ISIS stand for”?

My further understanding of ISIS, it's a multiplex electrical operating system that is capable of controling every electrical function in the SLC.

Question: To date has any builder desired to install a electrical feature that ISIS was not capable of handling?

Thank you,
Jim

The cars with an ignition key were either pre-ISIS, or the owners chose to use a key. Either option (or both) will work with ISIS.

You'd have to ask the folks at ISIS what it means.

So far, it's doing everything you could ask of it, at least for my car.

Just for clarity, it supplies power to the engine harness, but the engine ECM and engine harness control the operation of the engine.

I'm using the one button start feature and key fob - the car was delivered July 2012. The detail below is from the ISIS/SLC install guide:

Keyed Ignition or one button start information:

Keyed ignition switches are available from many sources, as are other switches. An example ignition switch is here from Summit Racing. A typical switch, this one has keys, an Accessory position and a momentary start position. If you choose to use separate inputs for the ignition and starter, you can either use a traditional keyed switch or separate switches. Use the black wires included in this harness to ground one side of the switch. The input wire corrects to the other terminal on the switch.
In the case of a traditional keyed ignition switch, connect the ignition wire to the IGN terminal on the switch, the starter wire to START and connect one of the black ground wires to the B+ terminal.
You have the option to use separate inputs for ignition and starter or the ISIS One Button Start. This is an either-or choice. Tape up the unused input wires to make sure that they do not accidentally contact ground or other inputs.
If you choose to use the one button start, simply connect the Tan-Yellow input wire to a momentary button. Connect one of the black ground wires to the other terminal on the switch.
The ISIS One-Button Start function works this way: Pressing and releasing the button turns on the ignition and switched accessories. Pressing and releasing the button again will turn off the ignition and switched accessories. To start the car, press and hold the button. The ignition will turn on and after 1 second, the starter will crank. Hold the button until the engine starts. When it is released the starter will drop out but the ignition and switched accessories will be powered. To shut off the engine, press and release the button again.

Key Fob Information:

When security is enabled from inLINK, you will get one flash of the parking lights to verify that it is set. With security enabled, the inputs for the ignition, fuel pump, starter and one-button start are completely disabled. You will note a message on the MASTERCELL insight LCD screen that tells you that security is enabled if you try to activate any of these functions.
The MASTERCELL will allow the car to be started only when security is disabled. The parking lights will flash twice to confirm that security is disabled.

Thanks guys for clearing up the ignition key confusion.

Alex, thanks for the ISIS link, good info there.
Jim

Back