Time To Fill My Boots

Keith

I'm rapidly approaching the time when I know I'm going to have to give up driving. It won't be my decision, probably not even the doctors but I have to apply for a new licence in 2 years, and given my medical history, I am not too hopeful that it will be renewed. This doesn't bother me anyway, as I can't say I really want to go anywhere these days that will involve me having to get out of the car.

I've not much money left (I WILL spend it!) and I've bought myself a car I've always liked the look (and sound) of. They only sold 12,000 in 4 years 1998-2002 so may even be an appreciating asset, although only my children would give a shit about that.

It's a Ford Cougar (Mercury obviously in the US) which is in total keeping with my blue blood, although I have walked on the dark side a few times wearing a bow tie.

This low mileage example (60,000 miles) was obtained for mid THREE figures, can you believe it? It's also built in the US although I won't hold that against it :laugh:. It has the sweetest aluminium V6 DOHC I've heard in a long time and it arrives tomorrow.

ford-cougar-10.jpg

And it's sweet little motor - a 2.5 all aluminium DOHC V6! (Around 200 h.p in standard trim)

Cougar25dohc.jpg

Keith

Haha... no seriously, that is what they go for in the UK. Ridiculous! Even the Mondeo MKII which is the same platform sells for more. I'm not complaining though and I wonder if it is all to do with our own fiscal cliff, although 28 - 30 mpg is not onerous to me.

Insurance group 28 (same as my 4x4) and Road Tax band 'K' (same as my 4x4)

I mean $800. Why wouldn't you?

Keith

Sorry to bore you high HP V8 guys but a bit more research has revealed that this V6 is half an Aston Martin V12 engine (presumably from when Ford owned the brand) and is the same as used in Noble M12 with turbocharging.

I'm quite chuffed really, haven't owned any high (relative word) performance cars since the 80's and have never owned a car with a MAF or a VVT or a twin TB or a computer thingy or even ABS!

Old school that's me... :)

Keith,

Good choice my son has one although much as it pains me to say he does not look after it. I think he has washed it about 3 times in 3 years :eek:

Nick

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
That is an interesting intake manifold with twelve runners. What is the story?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ford 2.5 L "Duratec" also made in 3.0 form for the Taurus.

The "Cougar" is based on the Mondeo/Contour/Mystique platform so is somewhat larger than it looks. I was surprised by how many of them I saw in my last UK trip (way back in '99) as I didn't expect to see that many vs. the Ford Puma a rather smaller version of the sport coupe.

Nice to know that a fun car can be had for not a lot of dosh. Hell, you can spend that easy on dinner and some decent wine......and when you sleep that off, you will still have the Cougar!!!

BTW, this was our payback to the UK for the 70's Capri...a sport coupe sent to those who don't understand/appreciate them!

Keith

Bear with me Mike, I'm a bit new to this kind of wizardry but I believe it is all to do with it's 'Ecoboost' technology - meaning that when engaged, the engine will operate on 3 cylinders at lower, town type rpm. Presumably this facility is designed to help keep both Al Gore and Henry's bean counters happy. :)

Al who? :laugh:

PS Thanks for the encouragement chaps...

I could google it but I wont, but I would not be suprised if it maybe variable length manifold.
Long at lower eng speeds and short kicks in after 3-4000rpm or so.

Jim

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Bear with me Mike, I'm a bit new to this kind of wizardry but I believe it is all to do with it's 'Ecoboost' technology - meaning that when engaged, the engine will operate on 3 cylinders at lower, town type rpm. Presumably this facility is designed to help keep both Al Gore and Henry's bean counters happy. :)

Al who? :laugh:

PS Thanks for the encouragement chaps...

WAYYYYY before "Ecoboost"....the runners are a low speed torque enhancing system that use a butterfly to control which set are operating. A rather low tech system compared to variable valve timing but effective nonetheless. I had two Contours with the 2.5 V6 and they made nice cars......reasonably quick, decent handling and comfortable to drive.

You have to have a medical to get a drivers license.

Yup. Remeber, Keith is in Europe - the grand Nanny State.

Here you can be on a respirator with coke bottle glasses and a weak ticker...and drive down the road in whatever has four wheels and a seat with a gun rack and a gun in the back window. Ah, to be free.

Wow that amazes me! I can understand it for a airplane pilot. The next thing your going to tell me is that you need a special permit to drive a bicycle.

Ron Earp

Admin
Those are pretty decent cars and I thought a great alternative to the ricers FWD shitboxes. The engine was powerful and the manual tranny was slick. They had a workable interior that was very livable and the 90s looks are just as good as a HondaBox in my opinion. Nice work!

Back