Lemans film

While browsing You Tube during lunch I came across the new remastered LEMANS film (I believe in 2011). The clarity of the film is top drawer so this film (I believe to be the best racing film from the best racing era (along with Grand Prix) ever made) is well worth watching again.

On a side note and forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before on this forum, anyone know what/whose white GT40 that is at @ 10:31 in. I would have to believe it to be an original.

Nice cameo.

The Steve McQueen film?
All the cars in the movie were original. Even the camera car was a topless GT40 and all driven by top drivers of the day.

Solar Production Budget was hudge and they acquire and rent a lot of cars
including the GT40 "spider off" plus the specific 917 with a long front frane to hold variuos camera and Lolas t70 transformed with Ferari bodies plus some Chevron 2 litres wearing various bodyworks and destroyed on some unexpected "double saltos" ( these cars where RC actioned)
Effectivly a lot of quite well known drivers were involved to help on that production but also a lot of french racing mecanics to help guys from special effects ( some where Matra mecanics !!)
If you are interested in watching many pics of film make up just read this ;
Autodiva - Connexion

Page 6/7 and 8

I have also wondered for years what was this white GT40, very briefly coming into view on the open road (not involved in any racing sequence), only at the beginning of the movie when the traffic jams are filmed... Nobody knows ? No nice anecdote about this car being there ?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I seem to recall that the McQueen Le Mans camera car, the one with the roof cut off was none other than the Gulf team P/1074!

It sold last year for $11 Million!

Keep your eye out for the book: "A French Kiss With Death", a great book, covering the history of Steve McQueen, the race, the cars and the making of the movie, lots of photos!

Last edited:
It's available at Amazon, but I think I'll wait for the paperback!:huh:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Kiss-Death-McQueen-Driving/dp/0837602343/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377630975&sr=8-1&keywords=A+French+Kiss+With+Death[/ame]

Back