Audi Transaxle and Half-Shaft Angles

Has anyone used or will be using an Audi transaxle? If so, do you think that the half-shaft angles would exceed 20 degrees if the engine was mounted at it's original height? I have found that you can get CV joints that will withstand up to a 20 degree angle. If this angle is not too bad would this be a solution?

Every transaxle has it's advantages and disadvantages. Looking at the Audi I see a good number of pros and some cons

Pros:
- Low cost
- 6 Speed (good ratios on some trannies)
- Easy to find
- O1E has been said to handle +500hp
- Light (65kg)

Cons
:
- Half-Shaft Angles (unless you raise the engine)

James, I am using an 016 so don't know if it would end up with the same orientation as an 01E. With a 302 using an Armando oil pan and the engine mounted so that the bottom of the pan is flush with the bottom paneling on the car, I have 15 degrees of half shaft angle at full bump. I am using 930 CV joints (GKN's). This is in an RF GT40 replica. Regards, Bill

Does any body know what level of power losses are expected with CV joints at 15 to 20 degree of angle?

Not in an SLC but I'm using one in my GT40 and the engine has to be pretty high to get acceptable angles.

However as I understand it you'll just wear out CV's quickly and this isn't going to be in a normal car expected to do 200k before they need replacing. So what if they need replacing every 20k?

Back