Taptalk

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I just bought an app, it's called taptalk and made for iPads and such devices, a couple other car forums are on the list but my favorite is not. .?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
While I don't have any control over what software or application interfaces are used here, I do have an opinion.

Here it is for whatever it is worth.

One of the reasons that applications like this and all of the Google applications are either free or very cheap is that they are collecting information on you. It's called Metadata. That information is used to profile you primarily for marketing purposes, but do you really think that would be the end of it? That information is worth a lot of money to many differernt people. When used for good, it can be a very good thing. The inverse is also true.
Now I can't vouch for Taptalk or any others in terms of their data privacy but I can tell you that there is a lot more information about you out there than you really are aware of. I work for a very large corporation that collects such information and it's used for their own marketing, credit scoring and others, but it is also very carefully protected and not shared externally.

So - bottom line is - be careful what you ask for and what information about yourself that you share.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Good information Randy, I really don't know about what happens when you use a mobile app. One thing good about taptalk allows you upload pictures from an iPad or iPhone and without it it's not possible as far as I know. A couple other forums like ferrarilife and ferrarchat allow taptalk which makes it easy for old guys like me to post pictures. At the least it would be worth a look perhaps?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I understand what you're saying Jack.. As long as you're aware of the price you are really paying for that application - that's the only point I am trying to make.

I do almost all my web browsing and posting from my iPad2. No special application, just the Safari browser application that comes pre-installed.

I can post pictures and such, but about the only glitches I have is if I want to highlight or change fonts, it can be a little tedious. For simple browsing or posting, the iPad and Safari are just fine.

I have to laugh at the world that swallows the Google Hook, Line and Sinker..
Google Chrome browser
Google Phone
Google Contacts
Google email (Gmail)
Google operating systems
Google Maps with embedded linkages to your GPS in your phone
Google etc.....

Think about it a second. Google knows who you are, where you live, who all your friends are, where you like to eat (also where your girlfriend lives), what clothes you buy, where you take your pictures and of who (facial recognition is here), whether you like big boobs or little ones, boxers or briefs, what cars you drive and where you buy your gas and the list goes on and on....
Now many people will just say :: So what? I have nothing to hide. Or - the convenience of all these applications being able to anticipate your every need and be at your beck and call is worth the price...

I manage multiple petabytes of data. The more I know about data and how it can be used, the less enamored I am with making my data available freely.. They will get it eventually anyway, but I am not going to help them along..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 306
Randy:
All I know about tap talk is use the correct lubricant, and go slowly with those small taps, make sure they are centered.
But seriously what you said very true, and I don't have any doubts about google sucking up as much data as they can.
On a lighter note, nice exhaust system, is that yours?
Cheers
Phil

Ron Earp

Admin
If/when we upgrade to the new version of vBulletin software we'll have the ability to use Taptalk if we wish. However, I've been putting the new version upgrade off for as long as possible, mainly because the forum as you know it will no longer exist.

The new versions of VB don't support skins like GT40s.com has. Therefore, the forum will not have any images spicing it up and many of our specialized applications that run here will no longer work. On the other hand, we'd gain a lot of new features and plug ins we could use.

Basically, if we make the switch our look and feel will become more mainstream. We'll look like FerrariChat and many other car forums.

FerrariChat.com - The Online Ferrari Forum and Community

Not a big deal, I know, but I figured we'd hold on to what we can for as long as possible. Even so, I suspect we'll have to switch this year. Probably should have done it last year.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Ron I like the site as it is and the looks. I use my iPad as much or more than my home computer anymore, the only thing I don't like is that I lack the ability to upload a picture from the iPad, but I will live even if it never changes. :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy did you post that picture using your iPad? If so how did you do it?

Yes I did.. All you need to do is to go to the Advanced posting window if you are doing a reply to a thread, then Manage Attachments then you can do a CHOOSE FILE to upload from your photo library, or insert a URL for an image. If you have a Photobucket account, you can download the Photobucket App for your iPhone or iPad (probably have the same for Android devices as well), then copy the IMG link and just past it into your text stream on the thread.

It takes a little getting used to - but worth it in my opinion.

Meanwhile, I will do some more investigation on TapTalk and their licensing along with their data privacy information and report back..

The exhaust system I posted above is not mine, but was a photo I had in my Camera Roll on my iPad.

Back