Amelia Island 2013

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
As much as I wanted to attend this, I got done out of my travel arrangements by a combination of airline screwups and bad luck. So I will not be there, in spite of having the weekend off (no hotels left and no airline seats left either)

I hope that fellow GT40 enthusiasts and members here will post some photos of the events for those of us who didn't get to attend. Thanks in advance to all for their help, and have a great time; it's going to be a good show altogether.

Guys just returned , I have over 400 photos, My buddy took best of show with the Bondourant GT . Hopefully I could post tonite....
GREAT TIME!
GTJOEY1314

It was pretty neat to see many of the originals in one spot! There are a lot of little differences between the cars, and it becomes VERY apparent when you see them side by side. I took a lot of pics with an i-phone, but most of them are detail shots of features I wanted to research.

Here is a pic of the "mirage" car.

Attachments

• gt40amelia 028.jpg
    gt40amelia 028.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 347
One more detail pic of the gulf show winner. Right/drivers side fill cap blacked out, small flap behind front wheel, bug deflector, and central placement of the dzus fasteners around the stripe.

Attachments

• gt40amelia 054.jpg
    gt40amelia 054.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 318

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Here's J11 at an open track day here on the left coast, one week before Amelia Island, working out before the show!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 344
Finally made it back It was a great time. This event is fantastic. It was fun hanging out with Jimmy, Veek, Jim G and all those great Gt40s! The list is long of all the Motorsport greats I saw there- Rahal, Franchiti, Rutherford, Hobbs, Posey and Gurney just to name a few. The setting is absolutely superb and fitting for the amazing quality of vehicles exhibited there. I will post some pics that I took with my phone for everyone

First some Gulf livery shots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 350
I'll post more later when I figure this out. Going to the event was well worth it for the cars and the people who I enjoyed meeting and talking cars with. Also, I've never seen so many beautiful women at any single event that I can remember !

Eric, Great meeting you and wishing we could have spent more time together. Sadly, standing in line for autographs on Saturday was our best opportunity. Thanks for posting your great photos too.
I've attended this event for some years and obvioulsy this year was the best but only because of the presence of the marvelous GT40's. Each year seems to get better, and how bout the weather. WOW. As for the ladies, I only had eyes for the cars. Yeah right!

Jim G., I thought you might like to read this recalling the young man whose day/year/life you made. Enjoy.

After you left I talked to Jim G and Nick, the owner of the unrestored MkII and the 330LMB of last year. They went to lunch and asked me to watch their cars for them! Bestowed with the authority over the safety of millions of dollars, I felt like an FBI dude and proudly guarded the cars for an hour. Jim and Nick eventually came back and Jim announced that he had won something. He invited me to go with him to collect the award in the 'passenger seat' of his GT40 for taking care of his car!!!!!!
He said he would be called up anytime now so I stuck around. After another 2+ hours, Concours people still maintained we would go up in a few minutes... Jim G was finally called and we got into the car. My feet almost touched the pedals! It was surprisingly quiet inside and he let me take a video of the ride. Jim won Car That Matters Most Historically. He drifted out of the podium, shocking some people which was amusing! When we parked, he was so happy with his prize and I was happy with the ride. That was an incredible experience. We talked about his P4/5 and he told me he's working with Maserati to make a Daytona 24 racer. If it goes through, he will race it in 2014. My dad is really enthusiastic and wants to go there next year. Jim said he'd even put me to work in the pits!!!

Jim G., I thought you might like to read this recalling the young man whose day/year/life you made. Enjoy.

After you left I talked to Jim G and Nick, the owner of the unrestored MkII and the 330LMB of last year. They went to lunch and asked me to watch their cars for them! Bestowed with the authority over the safety of millions of dollars, I felt like an FBI dude and proudly guarded the cars for an hour. Jim and Nick eventually came back and Jim announced that he had won something. He invited me to go with him to collect the award in the 'passenger seat' of his GT40 for taking care of his car!!!!!!
He said he would be called up anytime now so I stuck around. After another 2+ hours, Concours people still maintained we would go up in a few minutes... Jim G was finally called and we got into the car. My feet almost touched the pedals! It was surprisingly quiet inside and he let me take a video of the ride. Jim won Car That Matters Most Historically. He drifted out of the podium, shocking some people which was amusing! When we parked, he was so happy with his prize and I was happy with the ride. That was an incredible experience. We talked about his P4/5 and he told me he's working with Maserati to make a Daytona 24 racer. If it goes through, he will race it in 2014. My dad is really enthusiastic and wants to go there next year. Jim said he'd even put me to work in the pits!!!

:) Thanks for posting that.

Attachments

• 544092_10200139160895035_2057085487_n.jpg
    544092_10200139160895035_2057085487_n.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Back