Why are we celebration the birth of the GT40 this year???

I posted this under the Amelia Island event but I am curious to know everyones views.
I am glad you had a great time celebrating the 50th(?????)anniversary of the Ford GT40. I love those pictures keep them coming. I am looking forward to the Goodwood Revival GT40 race on this side of the pond.
Now I am going to throw a spanner in the works not out of malice or jealousy more of historical accurancy. How can you be celebrating the Ford GT40 birth according to all the celebrations 1963? When the car was only a full size clay mould for the fiberglass panels on 23rd October 1963.
Abbey Panels monocoque chassis was first delivered in 16th March 1964. GT/101 the prototype Ford GT was revealed as a fully built car (it was completed in 16 days)at a press launch on the 1st April 1964 (April fools day).
You do not celebrate the conception of a child (you might do once its confirmed; but its the birth you really celebrate!!); you celebrate its birthday. Are these celebrations destorting the dates made for purely logistic (ie getting the cars together?) reasons or purely commercial reasons. Like I said I am just curious???
Regards Allan

It's the new word order. Just walk into Walmart or Target or ? anywhere after July and see isles of Christmas items on display. It's also Daytona Cobra coupe's 50th in 2014. Plans are in the making for an East coast event this time. I think Mr. Brock said @ Limerock Raceway.

Last edited:
Allen, you might be on to something but I think its really something else.
The Amelia event was GREAT!, the guest panel was one of the best ever!
Every day is a holiday and these days we have to take what we can get.
Its a pretty safe bet that the show circuit is using these dates to bring attractions to their events.
Heck in the states one promoter was touting the 40th of the MUSTANG II. EEEEEK.
Another LARGE factor coming into play which if you went to any of these events was very evident.
I had the pleasure of talking to Dan Gurney,Stirling Moss,Sam Posey and a host of others from that period.
All idols, real heroes of mine.
You realise time has moved on very quickly, Years ago I would have wanted a life size picture with all of them.....Now days, it would NOT be the way I wanted to remember some of them.
Its hard to explain, others can chime in, but I think you get where Im going with this.
So enjoy them now while you can!
I am .
GTJOEY1314

Good one Joey. I think they are trying to honor these cars while the drivers are still around. Sam Posey has Parkinson's and while he is doing ok now ... Exact dates don't matter. Time blurs things. I have a 67 Vette for almost 30 yrs. and all my old books never said anything about Pete Brock being the primary designer of the 63 Sting Ray. Ludvigsons bible on the marque included. Always mentioned Larry Shinoda (dead). It didn't seem to matter at Amelia this year listening to Pete tell his interesting stories about Duntov, Harley Earl and Bill Mitchell.
Enjoyed it very much.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Allan, I think that with physical objects, we sometimes tend to celebrate the birth of the idea, the moment of inspiration, or the moment when the idea was first put down on a sketch. Maybe that is a partial answer to your question, does it apply in this case? When exactly was the idea born?

Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
What was the date when Mr ford get told to go away and that Ferrari was not for sale?
I would hazard a guess that that is when the idea was born!

50 years from that date is????????

Ian

Ian, I believe that date was 21 May 1963. (Although Enzo reportedly attempted to restart negotiations again a little later, this time Mr Ford had the pleasure of saying ' no thanks ')

I agree with Allans post, it is rather odd to celebrate a conception rather than a birthday. As with most of us though I will not worry about it too much !

I guess once one magazine or event decides it's an anniversary others follow suit ?

I close with one final thought for your consideration, as Allan rightly pointed out the first (of the 12) Ford GT prototypes was displayed in April 1964 but the bona fide Ford GT40 didn't come into existance until early 1965 so one could argue that everyone seems to be celebrating 2 years early !!

Regards Steve
ps. thanks for all the Amelia pictures & reports gentlemen

At Amelia they announced that next year (2014) the cars feature would be Zagato designed cars. They could add other cars to the show. This year they had 911, GT40 and Lambo. anniversary (all 50 years).

Any excuse to have a GT40 gathering are welcome. The more the better.

Back