Car Audio speakers

Hello Im not up on the newest and greatest in car audio. So Im hoping someone out there is. I am looking for a nice sounding 5.25" set of speakers. I have looked on-line, been to a few Car Audio shops and the Hertz, Focal, JL, Morel all look to be good choice's. Any one tell me why I should pick one of these over the other or are they pretty much all in the same league? also I won't be using a sub.
Thanks,

Of the sets you listed, I would rank them in this order of preference:

1) Focal
2) Morel
3) JL
4) Hertz

This is my opinion on the brand rankings based on listening to them and many others during years. Different models within each lineup would probably rank differently. Other people have different tastes and may rank them differently.

You wouldn't go wrong with any of them though, and it really comes down to your preference, install and tuning.

The most important thing before any selection of speakers is making the noise floor as quiet as possible in the car.

Additionally the doors lend themselves to being a good enclosure with a lot of mid bass punch if you install your mids there. I was surprised in Allan's car. I suspect many people will skip a sub unless they want more volume output.

Try to listen to your choices 1st and bring a CD of the music YOU normally listen to. IMO the majority of listening happens in the mid-range and the quality/importance of the mid-range would guide my choice. Even though I rarely listen to vocal only music - it's a good test of speakers. If a speaker cannot accurately replicate voice, what else is that speaker doing to the sound of instruments. With a loud car interior this may be a moot point - I'd then look for a very efficient speaker that will mate well with your power output and quality of chosen receiver/cd player. And like Roberto said - the door cavity makes a speaker box - so sound deadening/treating that area from errant vibration will make a difference in sound quality.

Thanks guy's I kinda figured they were all about the same from the reviews I read.
I am using the CF interior so I can't use the doors without making a mess of the panels. I filled the cab of the car with foam and am carving out an interior so there shouldn't be much noise coming from the floor or back bulk head as it will be pretty much solid foam from front to back and side to side. I was going to mold the speakers into the floor between the seats and the doors facing the driver and passenger.
So I guess will have to wait and see how it sounds when its done, even if it sounds like crap it should still look good lol. Thanks again guy's for your input.

I'm no expert, but I've put together some pretty amazing sound systems for cars and boats of mine over the years. There's a bunch of good speaker makers to choose from, several of which you listed. But after years of having to periodically replace speakers because either the cone blows out (separates from the coil) or the speaker just plain degrades from age or UV exposure or whatever.....there's one maker who, for me, stands out head and shoulders above the rest: Blaupunkt. Blaupunkt speakers are built tough, and they sound great, particularly the professional series. You can run them all day long at max volume, have them mounted in a package shelf where they get blasted with UV, splashed on in your boat, etc. and they just keep on working. I've never had to replace a Blaupunkt speaker in 30 years. The professional series has poly cones - highly recommended. They're not that expensive either.

Back