"tried & true" fuel delivery systems for the track

Hello everyone... time for my first thread. My name is Kevin and I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada and I am SLC chassis #138 ordered February 6/13.

My SLC is gonna be a tried and true LS376/525, dry sump, G96/50, full cage, bladder fuel cell, Penske shocks, race column, no AC, no dash, AIM MXL Pista, custom wired, etc. Basically a straight up "track only" build Dean Lampe style :thumbsup:

I have used the search function and found a few threads regarding fuel pumps, etc... but I wanted to start a new thread and try and limit posts/responses to actual "tried and true" track car fuel delivery systems run in the hottest of climates (I will be running in Nevada in the summer).

Hoping to get as much detail as possible on "all" the system components (i.e. surge tanks, swirl pots, filters, pumps, regulators, fuel rails, etc) and any other trickery, witchcraft or black magic that goes into a bullet proof fuel system. Part numbers are welcome of course :thumbsup:

I would refer to myself as a "reasonably experienced gear head"... but with more of a muscle car & rock crawling/racing back ground in which I have custom wired & plumbed fuel injection systems... so I could design the fuel system and it would likely work; however, this SLC is a different beast and frankly... I just want to get it right on the first iteration.

Also curious to see if anyone is successfully running a "single in-line pump system"?

Thanx :thumbsup:

KV

Oh ya... system will, of course, be comprised of all AN fittings and braided line; however, feel free to comment on make/manufacturer of fittings and hose if you feel there is a significant reliability advantage.

I am not on an unlimited budget (wish I was :thumbsup:)... but I got enough $$$ to do the car right and not cut corners on this very important system (i.e. safety, performance & investment protection).

Thanx again!

KV

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The fuel system plumbing and componentry is very simple really and only made complicated by the differing choices available in the aftermarket..

Here are the components that we have used in dozens of builds with zero issues...

Walbo primary pump to feed the surge tank.... VPN-GSL392

Returnless fuel pressure regulator..EFI.... AEI-13109

Fuel pump secondary from the surge tank to the fuel rail... Bosch-044 300lph

I do recommend a fuel filters also... between the fuel tank and the Walbro pump...we also run a fluid filled fuel pressure gauge on the regulator making setting fuel pressure and monitoring it very easy...this helps with potential trouble shooting later on too.

Both pumps are external inline style pumps making changing them very easy and simple...should you have a failure..

Simple and off the shelf reasonably inexpensive parts...we will be running the same components on the LMP as we have used them without issue on the 01 car for two season

Last edited:
Thanx Fran... any minimum surge tank volume, height or design time to run surge tank dry (i.e. X seconds at WOT)?

Thanx Fran :thumbsup:

Anyone else?

KV
i went with the aeromotive a1000 and wish i didnt. its overkill, works great but huge. I had 2 builders say it would cause vapor lock in the summer in texas as too much is in the return look gettting heated. Didnt have that problem but stepping up to AN10 made it higher $ and more complicated to fit the lines. LS3 feeds AN6.
I used a 1 quart surge tank and hevent been starved but i dont run hoosiers.. yet... Will calculated i could make 3/4's of a lap at TMS then sputter. its on ebay for $75. Cxracing Universal Aluminum Fuel Surge Tank Nissan 300zx MR2 S14 | eBay
Might be too light duty for you.

Back