Todd's SLC build

Here is my first attempt at starting a thread. Wish me luck!
So my Superlite SLC arrived yesterday and I am psyched to get going on the project. I have been watching this website for some time hopefully getting some insight from all the experiences that everyone else has had. I have included a photo of the car as it arrived from RCR and positioned in my garage. No small task, buy the way, with the steering and brakes not hooked up and body work rubbing on the tires. The two drivers from Passport Transport were awesome in helping me get the car around the back of my house and into a basement garage.
Tonight I was able, with the help of two of my sons, to get the body work removed and all the parts that were shipped in the cockpit area inventoried and put away. The second picture shows the bare chassis waiting for the project to get underway. I'm excited to get going and certain that I'll be looking for help from the SLC build crew. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 2,232
Sorry, still trying to figure things out-like how to post photos. Here is the picture of the car as it arrived.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 918
Looks great Todd! Beautiful garage too! What are your plans for the build? Engine, transaxle, interior, etc?

Best of luck to you on your build!

Michael Fling

Supporter
A recliner next to the project is awesome! Look forward to your build. If the car turns out as well as the garage, it will be killer (I bet it will).

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Dude! Your car is in the living room!!!

Nice!!! :thumbsup:

Ok, so the garage did turn out pretty nice. I don't know if I'll get much opportunity to use the recliner now that the car has been delivered, but it's there in case I need it.
So a little more detail on the project. The engine is an LS7 with a Porsche GT3 transaxle. I have upgraded the suspension with Penske shocks as I anticipate quite a bit of track time although it will be built to be streetable. I have included a pcture of the engine in chassis. The tranaxle is still in the box waiting installation.
I have four sons and a son-in-law that will be helping me with the project, so it should be fun!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,478
Todd, congratulations and the very best of luck! :thumbsup: I'm jealous, my SLC is not due to arrive for about 3 more weeks (if Fran is still on schedule)! I'm looking forward to following your build progress. Please keep us posted.

I hate being redundant but I have to agree with everyone else...
”Great Looking Garage”!
Jim

Last edited:
Welcome Todd,
Nice you have a 'home grown' build team! That recliner will be a handy place from which to bark orders to the build crew :) A somewhat famous scratch built Countach was built in a basement "garage", only problem was there was no garage door to get it out when it was done. At least you have a real door *chuckle*

Seriously, the chair will be a nice place to enjoy the art at the end your day's work.

SLC 001

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Todd - Great to hear that you're getting your family involved! Best of luck with the build.....and I agree, you have a great looking "garage"!
Dave L

I'm looking for some help from previous builders regarding the amount of Dynamat or equivalent sounds deadening to purchase? 12 square feet seems too little and 48 seems to much. Any clues as to what is the correct amount?

I'm looking for some help from previous builders regarding the amount of Dynamat or equivalent sounds deadening to purchase? 12 square feet seems too little and 48 seems to much. Any clues as to what is the correct amount?

Todd, the amount of sound deadening you need will depend on what areas you want to cover and how elaborate you want to get.

I intend to go a little overboard with my sound deadening and use a combination of 3 different materials in an effort to achieve maximum sound deadening. I will be installing DEI spray Boom Mat, over that a layer of DynaPad and a final layer of Thermo Tec Heat & Acoustical Control Mat.

I will be installing these products in the following areas:
Front bulk head
Cockpit floor pan
Door shells
Engine fire wall
Gas tank area floor pan
I also want to insulate the roof; however, not having seen the carbon fiber headliner yet, I don't know how much room there is.

I have purchased the following amounts:
4-18oz. Cans of DEI spray Boom Mat
2-Rolls 1/2” x 32” x 54” DynaPad
3-Rolls ThermoTec #14720 60” x 36” Heat & Acoustical Control Mat.

Is this the correct amount? :idea: I have no idea but I would rather be over than short!
Jim

Michael Fling

Supporter
I have samples of all of DEI's products. They also have an adhesive backed dampening material that has a leather like finish. It looks very nice. You can look at YOS'es build thread where he shows reflect-a-gold by DEI that he applied to the rear frame. It is placed to prevent heat sink in the frame. I am using it because it looks cool... :laugh:

I think you'll be more than ok starting with 48 square feet. If you check my thread...you'll see exactly how much coverage about 40 square feet has gotten me. I plan on using a total of about 100 square feet if you include inside the doors, firewall, etc...

Then again...I hear 25% surface coverage is more than enough. I'm going overboard on purpose :thumbsup:

Hope that helps...

Nice garage, tile floors! Thats one nice thing about a brand new SLC, you dont get dirty! you can go out work 2 or 3 hours wash your hands. then go directly out to eat after washing your hands. until you get it on the street. What transaxle did you pick?

Back