Quick question and are there any SL-C's near St. Louis?

Hi guys,

I'm new here and am in the process of trying to decide on my next project. I've got it down to a SL-C and a GTM.

I've done a ton of research and have found the ordering a SL-C with the options I want is quite a bit more expensive than ordering a comparable GTM. However, it seems the quality of the body work is a huge difference. The GTM appears to take a lot of body work to get it ready for paint. Some say up to 600 hrs. of body work alone. I'm not a body guy, so ill have to have the body work done professionally.

I understand the SL-C takes much, much less body prep. Is that what you guys have found?

Also, I consider myself a handy guy, but have never done anything like this. Is this a project an average person can tackle?

Finally, are there any SL-C's in, or around, St. Louis? I'd love the chance to run by and see one before I plan a trip to the factory.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated,

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

If you haven't already seen it, check out this thread: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/39873-price-difference-shrinking.html

If you haven't had a chance to sit in both cars, doing so is important. It will help you to evaluate many of the things you might not think about when just doing research online. For example, when I sat in a GTM, I was struck by the low roofline; so low that I would not be able to see traffic lights until I was three or four cars back and even then, I would have to lean forward. When I sat in the GTM, it just didn't "feel" right to me. When I sat in the SLC, the feeling was "I've gotta have one of these". This is very subjective and different for each person, but for me, the decision to buy an SLC over a GTM was clear and cost was only part of the equation.

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I'm saving up for an SLC. I've already built a Cobra replica and visited many of the kit car manufacturers and went to the Carlisle Kit Car show when I was looking for a Cobra kit. I paid a visit to RCR last fall and was simply amazed at the quality of the SLC kit in comparison to any other kit car I've seen.

Pete

I live on Clayton Road in St. Louis County and will have an SLC roller (with drivetrain mounted and body fitted) in my garage in about a month, if that helps.

JR

I went to Factory Five in MA. Nice car but the front visibility is pretty poor. The winshield looks large in pictures but when you sit in it, it ends up being a small 1 foot tall slit. maybe its becasue of the seating positiion being back further, not sure.

As to the gel coat on the SLC. Super! I had a few 911's, beautiful paint but fragile and scratches/blemishes easy. It got so i was paranoid where i park it, how i wax it. My 70# dog put front paws up on the slc gel coat and slide down the hood. waxed right out.

It wont ever be perfect ferrari/lambo paint, there will be a few mold lines. But who cares, the more it looks like a race car the more people go nuts over it. Gel coat lowered my blood pressure. JK. BTW if you're in Dallas, gimme a shout.

I can say my SLC body was very good, it was like the 3rd one out of the mold. Fit and body lines were excellent, straightness excellent. Some minor air pockets below the gel coat here and there, but no big deal.

I just sold my SLC but I don't think there is really a comparison between the the two cars you mentioned. The SLC is a great car that you will enjoy building. Unfortunately you won't know what the best decision is until you are in the middle of the project.

John, are you going to pick up your car in person? Mine should be ready about the same time.

Dean, what are you getting?

I'm going to guess an LMP .. am I right ... am I right? :D

I hope to see my 917 too soon as well .... after almost 16 months of wait I'm starting to go bonkers waiting to begin my build (moreso than usual :drunk::drunk::drunk:)

Back